3-4 DAYS IN ADVANCE
Make dimensional cake top stars and side panel pyramids.
Use 9 in. fondant roller with purple guide rings to roll out gum paste 1/8 in. thick as needed. Use patterns to cut pieces as instructed below. Use white royal icing for assembly. When dry, paint as instructed using bronze or gold Pearl Dust/lemon extract mixture .
For cake top stars: You will need about 12 oz. of gum paste to make three designs.
1. Cut triangles. For each design, use fondant trimmer and triangle patterns to cut two triangles, 3 1/2 in. and two triangles, 4 in. Cut triangles in half as indicated by dotted line; let dry 24 hours on cornstarch-dusted cake board, keeping triangles in pairs.
2. Assemble cake top star points. Tape triangle drying template patterns to cake board. Cover with parchment paper. Attach A sides (marked on pattern) of two triangle halves together on long angled sides to form star point. Stand upright on template to dry overnight. Repeat, making two points, 4 in., and two points, 3 1/2 in., for each star topper.
3. Assemble cake top stars. For each star, align two points, 3 1/2 in., for sides and two points, 4 in., for top and bottom. Use tip 2 and royal icing to attach points; make sure that points meet at top. Support point ends with crumpled paper napkins if needed. Let dry overnight.
4. Paint triangles. Start with inside panels, alternating bronze and gold mixtures. Let dry 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat on outside, matching same colors used on inside. Let dry.
For side panel pyramids: You will need about 20 oz. of gum paste.
1. Cut pyramid triangles. Use patterns to cut 64 wide side triangles and 64 narrow triangles. Let dry overnight on cornstarch-dusted boards.
2. Make base strips. Cut four strips,
2 3/4 in. high x
6 1/2in. wide, and four strips, 2 3/4 in. high x 10 1/2 in. wide. Lay flat on cornstarch-dusted boards to dry overnight.
3. Mark base strips for pyramids. Mark 2 1/8 in. widths on all strips using black FoodWriter edible color marker.
4. Assemble pyramids on base strips. Begin on end of strip. Outline each 2 1/8 in. square section with tip 2 and royal icing, positioning lines 2 1/8 in. inside marked area. Use tip 10 to pipe a mound of royal icing, 5/8 in. high, on back of one narrow and one wide triangle. Use tip 2 to pipe a line of icing on adjoining seams. Position triangles on icing outline. Pipe icing on two more triangles and position to complete pyramid. Reinforce seams with tip 2 if needed.
5. Repeat for remaining pyramids on each strip. Let dry 1 hour.
6. Paint pyramids. Use bronze Pearl Dust mixture on narrow triangles, gold Pearl Dust mixture on wide triangles. Let dry.