Fondant should be handled and stored with care. Keep in mind the following hints to ensure your fondant will be soft, flexible and clean when you’re ready to work with it.
- Fondant dries out quickly. Keep it covered or wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in a plastic bag when not being used.
- Knead fondant until it’s soft and pliable before rolling.
- If fondant becomes too soft or sticky to roll, knead in a little confectioner’s sugar.
- To prevent sticking when rolling, prepare your surface with solid vegetable shortening or a dusting pouch filled with equal parts cornstarch and confectioner’s sugar.
- To prevent fondant from sticking to hands, rub a thin coat of solid vegetable shortening on your hands or wear disposable Wilton All-Purpose Decorating Gloves.
- Fondant picks up dirt and lint easily. Be sure your hands are clean when handling and avoid wearing fuzzy sweaters during fondant decorating.
- After decorating, store leftover fondant carefully. Roll into a ball or log shape, coat with a thin film of white vegetable shortening, then wrap in plastic wrap. Place wrapped fondant in an airtight container.
Take some final precautions and store your fondant cake the best way possible. After all, your time, effort and creativity have made it very special!