Spring Ombre Layer Cake
4 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups butter or margarine, softened (3 sticks)
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons imitation clear vanilla extract
- Easy-Add No Color Almond Extract Add to shopping list No Color Almond Extract
6 egg whites
1 1/3 cups milk
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Royal Icing Bunnies with Jelly Beans Add to shopping list Royal Icing Bunnies with Jelly Beans
Makes about 16 servings.
- Easy-Add 9 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 9 in. Round Pan
- medium bowl
- Easy-Add Measuring Cup Add to shopping list Measuring Cup
- Easy-Add Measuring Spoons Add to shopping list Measuring Spoons
- Easy-Add Rubber Spatula Add to shopping list Rubber Spatula
- Easy-Add 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid Add to shopping list 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid
- Cake Board or serving plate
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 9 inch round pans with vegetable pan spray.
In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy; add extracts and beat well. Add egg whites, 2 at a time, mixing until well blended. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in three additions alternately with milk, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl as needed.
Divide batter into 4 equal portions (about 1-2/3 cups batter each). Add a small amount of icing color to one portion of batter. Add increasing amounts of color to each additional portion of batter to create shades of increasingly darker rose. Fill pans with batter.
Bake 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on rack; remove and cool completely. Wash and dry pans completely. Bake remaining batter as directed above.
To decorate, stack layers on cake board or serving platter, filling between layers with marshmallow icing. Spoon ice cake; press icing decorations around cake into icing.
To decorate, stack layers on cake board or serving platter, filling between layers with Marshmallow Icing. Spoon ice cake; press icing decorations around cake into icing.