Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes
PB&J sandwiches are every child’s favorite lunchtime choice. This nostalgic sweet treat will definitely steal the spotlight at your next party. Pair cupcakes with a cold glass of milk and enjoy!
1 box (16.5 oz) Favorite Yellow Cake Mix
1 cup water
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup grape jelly, divided
Peanut Butter Buttercream Icing
1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup peanut butter
- Easy-Add Wilton Pure Vanilla Extract Add to shopping list Wilton Pure Vanilla Extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (about 1 lb.)
1/4 cup milk
Makes about 24 cupcakes.
- Easy-Add Standard muffin pan Add to shopping list Standard muffin pan
- Easy-Add Yellow/Blue/Orange/Green Dots ColorCups Baking Cups Add to shopping list Yellow/Blue/Orange/Green Dots ColorCups Baking Cups
- large bowl
- Easy-Add Measuring Cup Add to shopping list Measuring Cup
- Easy-Add Measuring Spoons Add to shopping list Measuring Spoons
- Easy-Add Tip: 21 Add to shopping list Tip: 21
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with baking cups.
In large bowl, beat yellow cake mix, eggs, water and peanut butter with electric mixer at low speed 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Fill baking cups 2/3 full with batter. Spoon 1 teaspoon jelly on top of batter in the center of each cup. Reserve remaining jelly for garnish.
Bake 18-20 minutes or until Cake Tester or toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan on cooling grid 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.
In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until creamy. Add peanut butter, and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well at medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk, a tablespoon at a time, and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Makes about 3 cups icing.
To Assemble: Ice cupcakes with Peanut Butter Buttercream Icing; if desired, decorate with tip 21 swirls. In microwave-safe bowl, microwave remaining jelly on High 10-15 seconds; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cupcakes and sprinkle with peanuts.