Lemon Meringue Pie Cupcakes
- Non-stick vegetable oil spray
- 1 box ready-to-use refrigerated pie crust 14.1 oz
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 sticks butter, softened 10 tablespoons
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest from two lemons
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 jar lemon curd 10 oz.
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
- 1/3 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
Makes about 24 cupcakes
- Easy-Add Measuring Spoons Add to shopping list Measuring Spoons
- Easy-Add Measuring Cup Add to shopping list Measuring Cup
- Easy-Add Standard muffin pan Add to shopping list Standard muffin pan
- Easy-Add Comfort Grip Round Cutter Add to shopping list Comfort Grip Round Cutter
- Easy-Add 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid Add to shopping list 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid
- Large mixing bowl
- Easy-Add Rubber Spatula Add to shopping list Rubber Spatula
- Paring Knife
- Easy-Add Tip: 1M Add to shopping list Tip: 1M
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare muffin pans with vegetable pan spray.
On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie crusts and roll into 13 in. rounds. Cut with Round Comfort-Grip cutter. Reroll scraps and cut again for 24 rounds. Press one round into bottom and up sides of each pan cavity. (Dough will not come all the way up the side of the cup).
Bake 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely.
In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In second large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and lemon zest; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Spoon batter over cooled pie crusts, filling cavity 3/4 full.
Bake 24-26 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes 5 minutes. Loosen sides of cakes with small spatula and remove to cooling grid to cool completely.
Cut a hole approximately 1 in. wide x 1 in. deep with paring knife in the top of each cupcake; fill with lemon curd.
Position oven rack 8-10 inches from top of oven. Preheat broiler.
For icing, whip meringue powder, water and 1/4 cup sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually add remaining sugar and continue whipping at high speed 5 minutes or until meringue is stiff and dry. Pipe a 1M swirl of meringue on each cupcake. Place back in muffin pans or on cookie sheet. Broil 30-45 seconds, or until meringue is lightly toasted.