10 inch Angel Food…
Lemon Angel Food Cake
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 12 egg whites at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Easy-Add vanilla extract Add to shopping list vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest reserved
- 2 tablespoons water
12 or 16 servings
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Zest and juice the lemon separately; set aside. Sift flour with 3/4 cup sugar two times; set aside.
In large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt with electric mixer on low speed until foamy. Increase speed to medium and beat until thick and frothy. Increase speed to high and gradually beat in remaining 3/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in lemon and vanilla. Gently fold flour mixture, 1/4 at a time, into egg whites. Spoon batter into ungreased pan.
Bake on lower oven rack 45-50 minutes or until top is browned and cake tester comes out clean. Invert pan on cooling grid to cool cake completely (about 1 hour).
Using spatula, loosen cake around sides and middle of pan. Release cake onto serving plate.
For icing, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, water and lemon zest in small bowl until smooth. Drizzle icing over top of cake.