30 chocolate-covered mint chocolate cookies, divided
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Easy-Add pure vanilla extract Add to shopping list pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 sticks butter 10 tablespoons
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 package (4.67 oz.) Chocolate Creme de Menthe Candies, roughly chopped, divided
5 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup milk
Makes about 24 cupcakes
- Easy-Add Measuring Cup Add to shopping list Measuring Cup
- Easy-Add Measuring Spoons Add to shopping list Measuring Spoons
- Small mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Easy-Add Standard muffin pan Add to shopping list Standard muffin pan
- Easy-Add Standard Baking Cups Add to shopping list Standard Baking Cups
- Easy-Add Whisk Add to shopping list Whisk
- Easy-Add Rubber Spatula Add to shopping list Rubber Spatula
- Easy-Add 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid Add to shopping list 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Tip: 2A Add to shopping list Tip: 2A
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare two muffin pans with baking cups. Place 1 cookie in bottom of each cup. Reserve remaining cookies for garnish.
In small bowl, whisk together water and cocoa powder.
In large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
In large bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and mint extract with electric mixer until well combined. Add cocoa-water mixture; beat until well combined. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fill baking cups 2/3 full with batter.
Bake 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan 5 minutes. Remove to cooling grid and cool completely.
For icing, melt butter in large saucepan. Whisk in cocoa powder and 3/4 of chopped crème de menthe candy until smooth. Transfer to large bowl; cool slightly. With electric mixer, alternately add confectioners’ sugar and milk, beating until smooth.
Pipe a swirl of icing onto each cupcake. Roughly chop remaining cookies. Sprinkle cupcakes with cookies and remaining crème de menthe candies.
Want to stay in touch with the latest from Wilton?
Receive great Wilton decorating ideas and much more! Learn more