Pure Vanilla Extra…
Chocolate Angel Food Cake With Raspberry Sauce
- 1 pkg angel food cake mix (18.25 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate grated
- sweetened whipped cream
- Raspberry Sauce recipe follows
- 1 pkg frozen raspberries in syrup (10 ounces)
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 can frozen orange juice concentrate thawed to room
- 1 cup whipping cream temperature, not diluted
- 1 baked angel food cake favorite recipe or 1 package 18.25
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- orange peel (optional)
- fresh raspberries (optional)
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Easy-Add vanilla extract Add to shopping list vanilla extract
- Easy-Add no-color almond extract Add to shopping list no-color almond extract
- 1/2 cup cake flour
Cake serves 4.
Thaw raspberries. Place in food processor or blender; process until pureed. Strain pureed raspberries through sieve to remove seeds. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
NOTE: Whipping cream in the food processor gives cream a velvety texture that is perfect for icing or piping.
Cream does not have the volume of traditional whipping cream. Use metal blade and watch closely; cream whips in a short time.
For filling, soften gelatin in cold water in small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until dissolved.
Place gelatin in medium bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Fold whipping cream into juice mixture Refrigerate until mixture holds soft mounds.
Meanwhile, cut 1-inch slice crosswise from top of cake; set aside. With sharp knife, cut around cake 1-inch from center hole and 1-inch from outer edge, leaving cake walls 1-inch thick.
Remove cake from center, leaving 1-inch thick base on bottom of cake. Spoon filling into cake; replace top. Frost with whipped cream. refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Garnish with orange peel and raspberries.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In large mixer bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until foamy. Add sugar a little at a time; continue beating until whites are glossy and stiff. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Sprinkle flour over mixture and gently fold until flour is incorporated.
Pour batter into ungreased Mini Angel Food Pan; fill to 1/4 inch from top. Gently cut through batter with metal spatula to remove air bubbles.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and top springs back when touched. Invert cakes onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
Loosen cakes from pan with narrow spatula or knife and gently invert onto serving platter. If cakes don't release quickly, gently pull cakes with spatula or knife.
Recipe may be used to fill 7-inch angel food cake pan. Bake in 350°F oven 25 to 30 minutes.
Cutline: Baby Angel Cakes, mini size angel food cakes, need little more than fresh fruit for garnish.
Party guests will love having their own "whole" cake instead of a slice!