Banana Walnut French Toast Cupcakes
Wake up your taste buds with a breakfast-inspired flavor combo that’s welcome all day long. Hearty maple syrup, sweet bananas and crunchy candied walnuts combine with rich cream cheese icing for the cupcake of your dreams.
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 mashed ripe bananas (about 1 3/4 cups)
- Easy-Add Wilton Pure Vanilla Extract Add to shopping list Wilton Pure Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup sour cream
Maple Cream Cheese Icing
2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon maple extract
3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
About 24 cupcakes
- Easy-Add 12-cavity Square Bar Pan Add to shopping list 12-cavity Square Bar Pan
- Easy-Add White Square Cup Standard Baking Cup Add to shopping list White Square Cup Standard Baking Cup
- medium bowl
- Easy-Add Spatula Add to shopping list Spatula
- large bowl
- Easy-Add Measuring Spoons Add to shopping list Measuring Spoons
- Easy-Add Measuring Cup Add to shopping list Measuring Cup
- Easy-Add Tip: 21 Add to shopping list Tip: 21
Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with paper baking cups.
In non-stick skillet, toast walnuts over low heat, stirring occasionally until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add maple syrup; stir to coat nuts. Continue cooking and stirring until bottom of pan is nearly dry, about 2 minutes. Remove nuts from pan; cool completely.
In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mashed banana and vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream; blend thoroughly. Mix in 3/4 cup candied walnuts. Fill baking cups 2/3 full.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until Cake Tester or toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan on cooling grid 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.
Icing: In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add maple extract and confectioners’ sugar, 1 cup at a time, scraping down bottom and sides of bowl as necessary. Beat in maple extract.
To Assemble: Ice cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Icing; if desired, decorate with tip 21 zigzags. Top with remaining candied walnuts.