Here are some facts about silicone products to help you have the best experience possible.
- What is silicone?
- What are the benefits of silicone?
- Will it melt?
- Is it safe?
- Can I use it like my metal bakeware?
- How do I clean my silicone?
- Can I use it in the microwave?
- Will it lose its shape?
- Will it retain any odors or flavors?
- Can I do more than bake in it?
Q: What is silicone?
A: Silicone is a rubber-like material that starts out as a pure form of very fine grain sand. Through a series of heat and additive processing, the silicone base material is formed. This material meets all FDA regulations for food contact safety. The silicone base is then colored and molded into the bakeware shapes. The result of this molding process is the finished piece of Wilton silicone bakeware and accessories.
Q: What are the benefits of silicone?
A: Because Wilton silicone is so flexible, it makes it easier to store the pieces at home. The release of the baked goods from the bakeware is also easy since you can "peel" the pan away vs. metal bakeware which is very rigid.
- Always spray all baking surfaces with a non-stick cooking spray before using
- Carefully watch the progress of your baked goods as some time and temperature adjustments may need to be made
- Always place the silicone bakeware on a cookie sheet or baking pan in order to avoid spillage
- Allow baked goods to cool completely before removing from pan
- Never use metal utensils to cut or serve from your silicone pieces
Q: Can I use it in the microwave?
A: Yes, you can use your Wilton silicone bakeware in a conventional oven as well as microwave and toaster ovens. Never use your silicone bakeware under a broiler, on a hotplate or burner, or over open flame.
Q: Can I do more than bake in it?
A: Yes, Wilton silicone bakeware is extremely versatile. It can withstand temperature changes such as going from freezer directly to oven, and can be used as a mold for things such as gelatin, ice cream, ice, dips, etc.
Want to stay in touch with the latest from Wilton?
Receive great Wilton decorating ideas and much more! Learn more