Welcome to the Web Checkerboard Cake
- Easy-Add White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- 4 boxes (15.25-18.25 oz. each) white cake mix
- water, oil, eggs
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Rose Icing Color (Combine Violet with Rose for violet shown)Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Piping Gel Add to shopping list Piping Gel
Cake serves 20.
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Plastic ruler
- Easy-Add 10 x 14 in. Cake Boards Add to shopping list 10 x 14 in. Cake Boards
- Easy-Add 9 in. Fondant Roller Add to shopping list 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Heart Cut-Outs™ (smallest used)Easy-Add Heart Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Heart Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Wave Flower Former Set Add to shopping list Wave Flower Former Set
- Easy-Add Checkerboard Cake Pan Set Add to shopping list Checkerboard Cake Pan Set
- Easy-Add Mini Ball Pan Add to shopping list Mini Ball Pan
- Cake Board 6 in.Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add 9 in. Angled Spatula Add to shopping list 9 in. Angled Spatula
- Easy-Add 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 14 Add to shopping list Tip: 14
- Easy-Add Tip: 12 Add to shopping list Tip: 12
- Easy-Add Tip: 789 Add to shopping list Tip: 789
- Easy-Add 15 in. Angled Spatula Add to shopping list 15 in. Angled Spatula
- Easy-Add Cake Dividing Chart Add to shopping list Cake Dividing Chart
- Dowel Rod
One day in advance: make spider legs. Tint 1 3/4 oz. fondant black; knead in 1/8 teaspoon of Gum-Tex. Roll a long, 1/8 in. log. Trim legs following the spider leg pattern—reversing pattern to make left side. Create two front legs, four middle legs and two back legs. Let dry on a cornstarch-covered board.
One day in advance: make flies. Tint 1/4 oz. fondant light gray; knead in a pinch of Gum-Tex. Roll out gray fondant 1/16 in. thick. Cut out two hearts per fly using the smallest heart Cut-Out. Overlap points 1/4 in. and attach with fondant adhesive.
For bodies, use remaining black fondant. Mold into a log, 1/2 in. long x 1/4 in. wide. Attach to wings with fondant adhesive. Let dry on cornstarch-covered, smallest curve wave former.
Individually prepare three boxes white cake mix following package directions; divide batter into two portions. In one portion of batter, gently stir in Leaf Green Icing Color to desired shade. (Use clean toothpicks to transfer color from jar to batter.) Leave the second portion plain.
For bottom layer, place clean divider in the first prepared pan. Pour green-colored batter in the middle section and plain batter in the outer and center sections. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
For top layer, repeat step 4 in second prepared pan. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
For middle layer, place clean divider in the third prepared pan. Pour plain batter in middle sections and green-colored batter in outside and center sections. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. DO NOT PUT RING IN OVEN.
Bake and cool checkerboard cake following package directions. Bake and cool mini ball halves following package directions. Prepare buttercream icing. Tint portions black, green and violet; reserve some white.
Cut 6 in. board into a 2 1/2 in. circle. Cover with remaining black fondant.
Make spider. Attach mini ball halves with black icing and spatula. Position seam vertically.
Use tip 3 and white icing to pipe large eye. Use tip 3 and green icing to pipe small eye. Use tip 3 and black icing to pipe dot pupils. Use tip 3 and white icing to pipe zigzag smile. Use tip 14 and black icing to pipe stars over entire body.
Place on fondant-covered board.
Tint gel red. Use tip 12 to pipe gel into cake. Insert tip into cake at even intervals and squeeze gel into cake. Pipe in all three sections of all three layers.
Ice cake with violet icing and tip 789, smoothing with spatula.
Divide top of cake into 10ths using cake dividing chart.
Cut a parchment circle 9 in. to match top of cake. Place on cake dividing chart and mark 10ths using pencil. Place on iced cake and mark with toothpick.
Use tip 3 and white icing to pipe spider web on top of cake. Pipe side webs between every fifth mark.
Insert dowel rod where spider will sit. Position spider on cake and insert fondant legs. Position flies.