Uncork the Memories Cake
Use color flow techniques and melted candy to create a celebratory scene atop and around a 2-layer Round Pan cake. Sans Silver 25th Anniversary Pick, this cake works beautifully for New Year’s Eve parties.
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add White Candy Melts® Candy Add to shopping list White Candy Melts® Candy
- Easy-Add Color Flow Mix Add to shopping list Color Flow Mix
Cake serves 20.
- Easy-Add 8 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 8 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 5 Add to shopping list Tip: 5
- Easy-Add Tip: 8 Add to shopping list Tip: 8
- Easy-Add Tip: 789 Add to shopping list Tip: 789
- Easy-Add Silver 25th Anniversary Pick Add to shopping list Silver 25th Anniversary Pick
- Easy-Add 8 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 8 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add Parchment Triangles Add to shopping list Parchment Triangles
- 18- and 22-gauge cloth-covered florist wire
- Florist tape
- Hot glue
- Waxed paper
At least 3 days in advance: Outline and flow in champagne bottle and glasses using patterns, color flow and tips 2 and 3. For glasses, flow in champagne area without outlining. Also: Make bubbles on waxed paper using thinned color flow in cut parchment bag. Make 30 single 1/2 in. diameter bubbles and 25 single 3/8?in. diameter bubbles; also make bubble groupings for rims of glasses using various sizes (largest at 7/8 in. diameter). Let dry at least 48 hours.
At least 1 day in advance: Assemble bubble spray. Cut six 22-gauge florist wires from 11 to 14 in. long. Tape wires together 3 1/2 in. from bottom. Cut spikes on Anniversary Pick to 1/2 in. long. Cut two 18-gauge florist wires to 6 in. long; attach to pick with hot glue. Position the pick at center of 22-gauge wire grouping; bend wires to create spray look. Attach bubbles to spray with melted candy; let set. Attach spray at top of bottle; attach a lollipop stick cut to 7 in. at bottom of bottle with melted candy, positioning bottle at an angle on the stick; let set. On glass for cake top, attach an 8 in. stick at an angle, extending stick 4 in. at bottom; let set. Using full-strength color flow, attach bubbles to glasses. On glass for cake side, pipe tip 8 pull-out spikes, 1 in. long.
Ice sides of 2-layer cake smooth in buttercream. Make scallop pattern. Cut a 3 in. wide strip of waxed paper, long enough to wrap around cake. Mark scallops on top edge of strip using wide end of tip 789; position tip so that its curve is 1/2 in. deep from top edge of strip. Mark scallops approximately 2 1/4 in. apart on strip. Cut out marked area. When icing has crusted, position pattern around cake. Ice top and pattern area on sides smooth with blue buttercream; remove pattern. Pipe tip 5 double drop strings on scallops and loops above scallop points. Pipe tip 8 ball bottom border varying ball sizes. Insert glass on cake side; insert bottle and glass on cake top.
*Combine Leaf Green with Lemon Yellow for green shade shown. Combine Violet with Rose for violet shade shown.