Too Cute to Scare Crows Cake
He’s certainly outstanding in his field! The Stand-Up Cuddly Bear cake shows off another side of his personality with this scarecrow design. Fondant crows and hands make the look authentic.
- Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Brown Icing Color Add to shopping list Brown Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Stand-Up Cuddly Bear Pan Set Add to shopping list Stand-Up Cuddly Bear Pan Set
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 5 Add to shopping list Tip: 5
- Easy-Add Tip: 16 Add to shopping list Tip: 16
- Easy-Add Hand Perimeter Cookie Cutter Add to shopping list Hand Perimeter Cookie Cutter
- Easy-Add Duck Perimeter Cookie Cutter Add to shopping list Duck Perimeter Cookie Cutter
- Easy-Add 11 3/4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 11 3/4 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
Several days in advance, make fondant pieces: Knead 2 teaspoons Gum-Tex into 1 pk. rolled fondant. Tint a 1 1/2 in. ball of fondant green, for band of hat, wrap in airtight plastic and set aside. Divide remaining fondant in half and tint black and tan (for tan, combine light golden yellow with a small amount of brown). Make hands: roll out tan fondant 1/4 in. thick. Cut two hands, reverse one. Trim a small amount off the wrist, and insert end of stick to create a hole on which the hand will later be attached to the cake. Remove stick, place hands on cornstarch dusted cake board. Let dry several days. Make birds: cut two birds, reverse one. Trim both slightly smaller. Place on cornstarch-dusted board. Using a sharp knife, cut slits for tail feathers. Allow to dry thoroughly. Using tip 3 and buttercream, pipe dot eyes and fill in beak.
Trim off ears, arm areas and tail from bear cake. Ice soles of shoes smooth. Insert two lollipop sticks into sides of cake where arms will be. Insert 2 marshmallows on each stick to form arms.
Pipe in eyes using tip 5 (pat smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch). Add tip 3 dot pupils (pat smooth) and string mouth. Fill in nose and face with tip 16 stars. Add tip 3 lines for stitching on nose and mouth. Cover arms and shirt with tip 16 stars in alternating red and white 1/2 in. squares. Cover overalls and remainder of shoes with tip 16 stars.
Cut 2 strips of tan fondant 1 in. wide x 10 in. long. Gather along 10 in. side to form ruffle. Attach one piece to front of neck using additional buttercream icing, if necessary. Trim at shoulders if too long. Repeat with 2nd piece of fondant for ruffle around back of neck. Cut small notches in bottom of fondant ruffle with small scissors to create ragged look. Cut 2 strips of fondant 1 in. wide x 6 in. long. Gather as for neck ruffle, attach to fondant hands using damp brush. Slide hands on sticks in cake, adjusting ruffle over arms. Add tip 16 pull-out stars for straw under fondant ruffles at neck and arms.
Make fondant hat: Roll out black fondant and cut into a 6 in. circle. Attach marshmallows to top of head using buttercream icing, cover with additional buttercream to create irregular shape. Position fondant circle and allow to drape naturally into ruffles. Shape with fingers as necessary. Roll out and cut reserved green fondant into a strip 1/2 in. wide and attach for band. Add tip 16 pull-out star straw under hat. Attach birds to scarecrow with dots of icing.