This Cake is Bugged!
Everyone just loves creepy crawly things on Halloween. This cake should please all. Worm, beetles, spiders and ants in red and black. A great dessert and conversation starter.
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Copper Icing Color Add to shopping list Copper Icing Color
- Easy-Add Brown Icing Color Add to shopping list Brown Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Primary Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Primary Colors Multi Pack
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Natural Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Natural Colors Multi Pack
- Easy-Add FoodWriter™ Fine Tip Primary Colors Edible Color Markers Add to shopping list FoodWriter™ Fine Tip Primary Colors Edible Color Markers
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Pearl Dust™ Add to shopping list Leaf Green Pearl Dust™
- Easy-Add Sapphire Blue Pearl Dust™ Add to shopping list Sapphire Blue Pearl Dust™
- Easy-Add White Pearl Dust™ Add to shopping list White Pearl Dust™
Cake serves 20.
- Easy-Add Checkerboard Cake Pan Add to shopping list Checkerboard Cake Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 18 Add to shopping list Tip: 18
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add 9 in. Fondant Roller Add to shopping list 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Easy-Add 10-Pc. Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set Add to shopping list 10-Pc. Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Spider Candy Mold Add to shopping list Spider Candy Mold
- Easy-Add Spatula Add to shopping list Spatula
- Easy-Add Cake Circle Add to shopping list Cake Circle
- Easy-Add Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Cutter/Embosser Add to shopping list Cutter/Embosser
- Waxed paper
- Craft knife
Prepare 3 boxes white cake mix following package instructions; divide in thirds
In one portion of batter, gently stir in Orange Icing Color to desired shade (use clean toothpicks to transfer color from jar to batter). Repeat with Lemon Yellow and Leaf Green Icing Colors to color second portion. Reserve 1 portion batter white.
Place Batter Dividing Ring in the first prepared 9 x 1 1/2 in. pan. Pour green-colored batter in outer section and orange-colored batter in the middle section and white in center section. Fill sections halfway.
Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
Place ring in 2nd prepared pan and in the first prepared 9 x 1 1/2 in. pan. Pour white batter in outer section and green-colored batter in the middle section and orange-colored batter in center section. Fill sections halfway.
Place clean and dry ring in 3rd prepared pan. Pour orange-colored batter in outer and white colored batter in the middle section and green-colored batter in the center section. Fill sections halfway.
Remove ring from pan as before. Bake and cool cakes following recipe directions. Remove and stack cakes.
DO NOT PUT DIVIDING RING IN OVEN.
Ice cake smooth with spatula and buttercream icing.
To make worms: mix 1/8 tsp. of gum-tex with 1.5 oz. of fondant. Add copper icing color. Twist equal amounts of copper fondant with brown fondant to twist and achieve a marbleized color. Roll fondant into 1/4 in. thick "worm" in varying lengths. Create segments using cutter/embosser and impressing every 1/2 in. Shape into wavy worms. Let dry.
To make brown roaches: Use Dark Brown Rolled Fondant from Multi-Pack. Make body 1 1/2 in. high x 1 1/4 in. wide, make head a semi-circle 1 in. wide x 5/8 in. high. Use veining tool from set to indent eyes and make wings. Use shell tool to make lines across wings. For legs, roll out 6 narrow pieces of fondant and lightly bend at to segment areas; use craft knife to make "hairy" effect on legs. Roll two fine antennae and make tops "hairy" with craft knife. Attach with damp brush. Add accents with black FoodWriter and let dry on cornstarch-dusted surface.
To make centipedes: Twist equal amounts of light and dark fondant together for a marbleized effect. Roll into worm shape approximately 1/4 in. thick. Use shell tool from set to smash sides for legs and separate with craft knife. Use veining tool to make segments in body. Add accents with black FoodWriter. Let dry on cornstarch-dusted surface.
To make fly: Use equal party green and blue fondant for body. Shape body 1 in. long x 1/2 in. wide. Attach fondant piece for head with damp brush. Use craft knife to make indentions in head and mouth. Dust body with brush dipped in green pearl dust. Roll 6 thin black fondant legs and bend at angles. Attach legs under body with damp brush and set on surface dusted with cornstarch to dry. Roll out white fondant very thin and cut into wing shapes. Add black veins on wings with black FoodWriter. Dust wings with white pearl dust and attach to body with damp brush. Add red fondant ball eyes, attach with damp brush.
To make beetles: Mix green fondant with 1/2 as much blue fondant and marbleize. Make body 1 1/4 in. long x 1 in. wide. Make texture on body with veining tool. Roll a ¾ in. wide x 1/2 in. long blue fondant semi-circle for head. Use brown fondant to make 6 small worm-like legs with a slight bend. Make 2 antennae in light brown. Attach legs and antennae with damp brush. Set on waxed paper dusted with cornstarch to dry. Accent body with blue, green and black FoodWriter. Brush body with blue pearl dust.
To make black ants: Roll three equal-sized balls of black fondant and attach with damp brush. Roll 6 legs and 2 antennae. Attach legs and antennae with damp brush and let dry on waxed paper dusted with cornstarch.
To make red ants: Use equal amounts of red and dark brown fondant. Make a triangle-shaped head, ball body center and pointed tail back segment. Use veining tool to make impressions. Make 6 legs and 2 antennae; attach both with damp brush. Use black FoodWriter to make accents on tail, head and legs.
To make brown spiders: Use dark brown fondant and impress into spider mold lightly dusted with cornstarch. Place in freezer for 10 minutes and use tools to help remove from mold. Use craft knife to cut and separate 8 legs. Use scissors to make small cuts in body and legs to achieve "hairy" texture. Use black FoodWriter to make accents.
To make black spiders: Follow same directions as brown spiders and use black fondant.
To make green bugs: Add equal amounts of green and yellow fondant. Make triangle-shaped head, rectangle-shaped body. Roll 6 legs of various lengths. Brush bugs with green pearl dust. Add accents with green and black FoodWriters.
Position bugs on cake.