They're Guests, Not Pests! Cake
A perfect fit for a budding entomologist’s birthday party, this tiered cake will have guests buzzing. Follow our instructions for creating Fondant Bugs to sculpt a colorful gang of not-so-creepy crawlers.
- Easy-Add Sky Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Sky Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add White Candy Melts® Candy Add to shopping list White Candy Melts® Candy
- Easy-Add Yellow Candy Melts® Candy Add to shopping list Yellow Candy Melts® Candy
- Easy-Add Orange Candy Melts® Candy Add to shopping list Orange Candy Melts® Candy
- Easy-Add Primary Candy Colors Set Add to shopping list Primary Candy Colors Set
- Easy-Add Garden Candy Color Set Add to shopping list Garden Candy Color Set
Cake serves 40.
- Easy-Add 8 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 8 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add 12 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 12 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Sports Ball Pan Set Add to shopping list Sports Ball Pan Set
- Easy-Add Mini Ball Pan Add to shopping list Mini Ball Pan
- Easy-Add Cookie Sheet Add to shopping list Cookie Sheet
- Easy-Add Tip: 5 Add to shopping list Tip: 5
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Ribbon Cutter/Embosser Set Add to shopping list Ribbon Cutter/Embosser Set
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Nesting Hearts Cutter Set Add to shopping list Nesting Hearts Cutter Set
- Easy-Add Flower Nail No. 7 Add to shopping list Flower Nail No. 7
- Easy-Add Wooden Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Wooden Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add 4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 4 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add 14 in. Silver Cake Base Add to shopping list 14 in. Silver Cake Base
- Easy-Add 8 in. Cake Circle Add to shopping list 8 in. Cake Circle
- Decorator Preferred® Smooth-Edge Separator Plates (6 in. needed)Easy-Add Decorator Preferred® Smooth-Edge Separator Plates Add to shopping list Decorator Preferred® Smooth-Edge Separator Plates
- Waxed paper
- Easy-Add Pastry Brush Add to shopping list Pastry Brush
- Craft knife
In advance: Make fondant bug pieces.
For large bee use largest heart cutter from Plastic Nesting Hearts set. Let all wings dry. Make 1 in. balls for antenna tips and 1 in. cone for nose. Mold large candy bee. Melt yellow and orange candy; add candy color for brighter shades shown. Using mini ball pan for head and sports ball pan for body, mold candy shells, 2 of each size, by brushing melted candy up insides of pans with a pastry brush. Let set. Add additional layers for a thicker shell; chill completely and unmold. Rub edges over warm cookie sheet and attach halves to form ball; smooth seams. Roll out black fondant 1/8 in. thick. Using ribbon cutter with zigzag wheel and 1 in. spacer, cut stripes. Wrap around body and secure with melted candy. Roll a 2 in. cone for stinger; attach with melted candy. Roll fondant balls for eyes and pupils, log for mouth. Using melted candy, attach features and nose; attach head to body. Bend lollipop sticks for antennae; use tip of craft knife to make small, tight-fitting holes in head and insert sticks. Paint with melted candy; when dry, push on ball tips. Cut 3/4 in. off bottom of heart wings; attach lollipop stick to back with melted candy. Using warm tip of flower nail, make small, tight-fitting holes in body and insert sticks; secure with melted candy. Bee will be attached to legs at party.
Ice smooth 1-layer 12 in. and 2-layer 8 in. cakes and prepare for Stacked Construction on base. Pipe tip 5 bead bottom border on 8 in. cake. For grass, roll out green fondant 1/8 in. thick. Cut 1 in. strips; use knife to make 3/4 in. slits, 1/8 in. apart. Attach 2 layers of grass around base of cake; separate and shape blades of grass. Cut 4 dowel rods to 7 in. long. Roll out black fondant 1/8 in. thick; cut 3 x 1 in. rectangle and wrap around one end of rod, securing with damp brush. Use separator plate to mark feet on cake top. Push dowel rod legs into cake at marks. Take a 1 1/2 in. ball of fondant and wrap around leg for each foot. Using melted candy, attach small bugs. At party: Attach large bee to legs with melted candy.