Swirls Unfurled Cake
A rose scallop bow and fun swirls bring this pretty pink package cake to life! The fondant decorations are a breeze to cut using Sugar Sheets! punches and cutting inserts.
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Gum Paste Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Gum Paste
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add White Pearl Dust™ Add to shopping list White Pearl Dust™
Cake serves 20
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Rotary Cutter Add to shopping list Rotary Cutter
- Easy-Add Border Punch Set Add to shopping list Border Punch Set
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add 8 x 2 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 8 x 2 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add Cooling Grid Add to shopping list Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add Spatula Add to shopping list Spatula
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Single Shape Punch Set Add to shopping list Single Shape Punch Set
- Easy-Add Swirl Cutting Insert Add to shopping list Swirl Cutting Insert
Two days in advance, make the bow. Blend 8 oz. fondant with 8 oz. gum paste. Tint 5 oz. fondant/gum paste mixture dark rose and 2 oz. medium rose. Working with only what is needed, roll out dark rose 1/8 in. thick. Use Rotary Cutter to cut a strip, 9 long x 1 1/4 in. wide. Using border punch with Scallop Border Cutting Insert, cut scallop edge. Using Rotary Cutter, trim strip to 8 in. long x 3/4 in. wide. Repeat to make another scallop strip. Attach straight edges of both strips with fondant adhesive.
Roll out medium rose fondant/gum paste mixture 1/8 in. thick. Using Rotary Cutter, cut a strip, 8 long x 1/2 in. wide. Attach strip to center of scallop strip with damp brush, covering the seam. Attach ends with damp brush to form loop. Repeat to make a total of five loops. For center loop, use Rotary Cutter to cut a strip, 6 in. long x 1 1/4 in. wide, from dark rose. Cut scallops as before; trim to 5 1/2 long x 3/4 in. wide; attach together. Use Rotary Cutter to cut a strip, 5 1/2 long x 1/2 in. wide; attach to center of scallop strip. Attach ends to form loop. Let loops dry on cornstarch-dusted cake board, using facial tissue to hold shape.
Bake and cool two-layer cake. Prepare for rolled fondant by icing lightly with buttercream. Cover cake with 36 oz. white fondant. Smooth with Fondant Smoother. Position on foil-wrapped cake board.
For ribbons, tint 3 oz. fondant dark rose and 2 oz. medium rose. Roll out 1/8 in. thick. Using Rotary Cutter, cut eight dark rose strips, 9 long x 1 1/4 in. wide, and four medium rose strips, 8 long x 1/2 in. wide. Attach straight edges of scallop strips as before. Attach medium rose to dark rose strips with damp brush. Follow directions for scallop bow, without forming loops. Attach ribbons to cake with damp brush; trim as needed.
For swirls, tint 4 oz. fondant light rose. Roll out 1/8 in. thick. Using punch with Swirl Cutting Insert, cut 72 swirls. Attach randomly to cake with damp brush. Step 6: Attach bow loops and center to cake top with thinned fondant adhesive. Brush ribbons with White Pearl Dust.