Spring Takes Flight Checkerboard Cake
- Easy-Add White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Rose Icing Color (Combine Violet with Rose for violet shown)Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- 3 boxes (15.25-18.25 oz. each) white cake mix
- water, oil, eggs
- Easy-Add Sky Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Sky Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add FoodWriters™ Finetip Neon Colors Edible Color Markers Add to shopping list FoodWriters™ Finetip Neon Colors Edible Color Markers
Cake serves 20.
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add 9 in. Fondant Roller Add to shopping list 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Easy-Add Punch Set with Oval Cutting Insert Add to shopping list Punch Set with Oval Cutting Insert
- Easy-Add Butterfly Cutting Insert Add to shopping list Butterfly Cutting Insert
- Easy-Add Wave Flower Former Add to shopping list Wave Flower Former
- Easy-Add Checkerboard Cake Pan Set Add to shopping list Checkerboard Cake Pan Set
- Easy-Add 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid Add to shopping list 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add 13 in. Angled Spatula Add to shopping list 13 in. Angled Spatula
- Easy-Add 10 in. Cake Circle Add to shopping list 10 in. Cake Circle
- Easy-Add Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Flower Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Flower Cut-Outs™
- Plastic ruler
- Easy-Add Rotary Cutter Add to shopping list Rotary Cutter
- Easy-Add Gum Paste Storage Board Add to shopping list Gum Paste Storage Board
- Easy-Add Cake Dividing Chart Add to shopping list Cake Dividing Chart
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Tip: 233 Add to shopping list Tip: 233
In advance, make butterflies. Tint 2.5 oz. fondant of each color: yellow, violet, orange and rose. Add 1/8 teaspoon of Gum-Tex to 1 oz. of each color.
Roll out fondant to 1/8 in thick. Using punch set with butterfly insert, punch out one butterfly in each color. Lightly dust flower former with cornstarch and place butterflies in wave to dry overnight. Reserve remaining fondant.
Individually prepare 3 boxes of white cake mix following package instructions; divide batter into two portions. In one portion of batter, gently stir in Lemon Yellow Icing Color to desired shade. (Use clean toothpicks to transfer color from jar to batter.) Repeat with Rose Icing Color to color second portion.
For bottom layer, place Batter Dividing Ring in the first prepared pan. Pour yellow-colored batter in outer and center sections and rose-colored batter in middle section. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
For top layer, repeat step 4 in second prepared pan. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
For middle layer, place clean and dry ring in third prepared pan. Pour rose-colored batter in outer and center (smallest circle) sections and yellow-colored batter in the middle section. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. DO NOT PUT RING IN OVEN.
Bake and cool cake according to recipe directions. Prepare icing. Tint portions blue and green. Stack and position cake on foil-wrapped cake circle. Ice cake smooth with blue icing and spatula.
Make flowers. Roll out the remainder of the tinted fondant 1/8 in. thick and cut out two large flowers with largest flower Cut-Out, two medium flowers with medium flower Cut-Out, seven small flowers with smallest flower Cut-Out for each color. Let dry for about 1 hour.Once flowers are dry, use matching edible color markers to outline petals and color circle for center on flowers. .
Make leaves and stems. Tint 1.5 oz. of fondant green. Roll out 1/8 in. thick. Cut 12 strips, each 1/4 in. x 2 1/4 in., using rotary cutter. Cut six strips, each 1/8 in. x 1 3/4 in., with rotary cutter. Store in storage board. Cut 36 leaves using smallest leaf Cut-Out. Let dry 30 minutes. Use green edible color marker to draw veins on leaves.
Divide cake into sixths using Cake Dividing Chart. Attach two large and one medium flowers on sides of cake with icing. Add stems and leaves. Using green icing and tip 233, pipe grass bottom border. Position small flowers around the grass.
To complete butterflies, draw a design on wings with edible color markers. Roll out desired color fondant into a 1 1/2 in. log tapered at one end. With a damp brush, attach bodies to butterflies. Position butterflies on top of cake.