Snowflake Dance Cakes
- Easy-Add White Cake Sparkles™ Add to shopping list White Cake Sparkles™
- Easy-Add Gum Paste Mix Add to shopping list Gum Paste Mix
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
vegetable pan spray
8 in. Round Cake 2-layer (4 in. high)
12 in. Round Cake 2-layer (4 in. high)
16 in. Round Cake 2-layer (4 in. high)
Cake serves 156.
- Easy-Add 8 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 8 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add 12 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 12 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add 16 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 16 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 6 Add to shopping list Tip: 6
- Easy-Add Tip: 133 Add to shopping list Tip: 133
- Easy-Add 9 in. Scrollwork Cake Stand Add to shopping list 9 in. Scrollwork Cake Stand
- Easy-Add 13 in. Scrollwork Cake Stand Add to shopping list 13 in. Scrollwork Cake Stand
- Easy-Add 17 in. Scrollwork Cake Stand Add to shopping list 17 in. Scrollwork Cake Stand
- Easy-Add Cake Circles Add to shopping list Cake Circles
- Easy-Add Cake Boards Add to shopping list Cake Boards
- Easy-Add Cake Dividing Set Add to shopping list Cake Dividing Set
- Easy-Add Hidden Pillars Add to shopping list Hidden Pillars
- Easy-Add Plastic Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Plastic Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Wooden Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Wooden Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Flower Spikes Add to shopping list Flower Spikes
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Decorator Brush Set Add to shopping list Decorator Brush Set
- Waxed paper
- Small paring knife
- 20-gauge white cloth covered wire
- 24-gauge white cloth covered wire
- Styrofoam craft block 12 x 12 x 1 in.
- Serrated knife
- Hot Glue Gun
Several days to 1 week in advance make 6 large, 15 medium and 20 small snowflakes using Egg White Royal Icing: Make snowflakes on cake board covered with waxed paper and lightly spray waxed paper with vegetable pan spray. Wipe off excess with tissue. With tip 3, pipe main branches of snowflake. Pipe tip 2 "V" marks on branches, add tip 2 dot in center of each snowflake. Sprinkle immediately with Cake Sparkles. Make several extras to allow for breakage and let dry. Make 30 stars on wires: Randomly cut 24-gauge wires in lengths from 6 to 9 in.. Place wires on waxed paper-covered board and pipe tip 133 royal icing stars on ends; sprinkle with Cake Sparkles. Attach dried snowflakes to 20-gauge wires: pipe hot glue strip 1 in. long on end of wire, carefully remove snowflake from waxed paper by lifting from center dot and immediately attach to wire. Let dry in craft block.
Make approximately 40 gum paste curls: Prepare one can of gum paste mix, roll thin and cut 6 in. long strips ranging from 1/2 to 1 in. wide. Shape each gum paste strip into loose curls shaped like question marks and let dry on sides on cookie sheet that has been dusted with cornstarch.
At least one day in advance (to allow time for overlay curls to dry), prepare cakes for rolled fondant by lightly icing with buttercream. Cover cakes with fondant; smooth with Easy-Glide Smoothers. Cut one each 6, 10 and 14 in. waxed paper circle; place on cake top, 6 in. for 8 in. cake, 10 in. for 12 in. cake and 14 in. for 16 in. cake. Roll out another layer of fondant for overlay and place over cakes, but do not attach with water. (When making overlay piece in high humidity areas or under hot conditions, add 2 teaspoons of Gum-Tex Karaya to fondant to better hold shape.) Using sharp paring knife, trim fondant overlay around sides and cut in icicle shapes (be careful not to cut bottom layer of fondant on cake). After designs are cut all around cake, lightly brush back of each "icicle" with decorator brush dipped in water and attach to cake side.
Cut 24 plastic dowel rod pieces, twelve 1 in. long, twelve 3/4 in. long. Cut 16 hidden pillar pieces to 1 in. long. To achieve the peeled-back look at center of fondant overlay: Cut a waxed paper circle the same diameter as each cake and make patterns: Using Cake Dividing Set, starting 2 in. from outer edge of waxed paper, mark 6 in. and 10 in. circles into 12ths and 14 in. circle into 16ths. Draw a pie-shaped wedge at each division point. Center patterns on cake tops. Using patterns, carefully cut wedges through fondant overlay (do not cut through the bottom waxed paper circle on the cake). Roll wedges back around cornstarch-dusted dowel rod and hidden pillar pieces (use 3/4 in. dowel rod pieces for 8 in. cake, 1 in. dowel rod pieces for 12 in. cake and hidden pillar pieces for 16 in. cake). Position mini marshmallows to hold in place. Remove waxed paper from top center of cakes. Set cakes on a slight angle, dip brush in water and moisten edges of icicles and swirl design on fondant overlay; sprinkle immediately with Cake Sparkles. Pipe tip 6 ball bottom borders in buttercream on each cake. Let dry overnight. Fill 14 flower spikes with fondant to hold snowflake wires. Position 3 spikes in center of 8 in. cake, 4 spikes in 12 in. cake and 7 spikes in 16 in. cake.
At reception: Remove dowel rod and hidden pillar pieces. Position tiers on cake stands. Carefully position snowflakes and stars in flower spikes, beginning in the middle and working toward outside. Be careful that snowflakes do not touch, as they will break. Position loose curls on cake tops.
IMPORTANT: REMOVE FLOWER SPIKES WITH SNOWFLAKES BEFORE CUTTING CAKES. AVOID EATING SNOWFLAKES.
*Note: The smallest tier is often saved for the first anniversary. The number of servings given does not include smallest tier.