Sleigh Bells Checkerboard Christmas Cake
A holiday surprise awaits family and friends when you slice into this cake. Our Checkerboard Cake Pan Set lets you create the festive multicolored pattern.
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
- Easy-Add Pure Lemon Extract Add to shopping list Pure Lemon Extract
- Easy-Add Silver Pearl Dust™ Add to shopping list Silver Pearl Dust™
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Brown Icing Color Add to shopping list Brown Icing Color
3 boxes white cake mix (18.25 ounces)
- Easy-Add Ivory Icing Color Add to shopping list Ivory Icing Color
- Easy-Add Sky Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Sky Blue Icing Color
Cake serves 20.
- 9 in. Fondant Roller (1/16 in. guide)Easy-Add 9 in. Fondant Roller Add to shopping list 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Craft knife
- Easy-Add Decorator Brush Set Add to shopping list Decorator Brush Set
- Easy-Add Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Cake Circles Add to shopping list Cake Circles
- Easy-Add Holiday Mini Metal Cutter Set Add to shopping list Holiday Mini Metal Cutter Set
- Easy-Add Wave Flower Former Add to shopping list Wave Flower Former
- Easy-Add Checkerboard Cake Pan Set Add to shopping list Checkerboard Cake Pan Set
- Easy-Add Cooling Grid Add to shopping list Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add 3 Pc. Christmas cutter set Add to shopping list 3 Pc. Christmas cutter set
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 8 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 8 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Craft knife
- Easy-Add Non-Stick Parchment Paper Add to shopping list Non-Stick Parchment Paper
In advance, make sleigh. Combine 2 oz. white fondant with 1/8 teaspoon Gum Tex™. Roll out to 1/16 in. thickness. Cut out sleigh using pattern. Tint 1 oz. fondant dark red and cut out top of sleigh only. Attach pieces together with damp brush. Using royal icing and tip 3, pipe scrollwork at bottom of sleigh. Using tip 2, pipe stitching around sleigh. Place on cornstarch-dusted cake board and let dry. When royal icing is dry, combine silver pearl dust with a small amount of lemon extract. Paint scrollwork of sleigh. Let dry. When dry, attach two 8 in. lollipop sticks to back of sleigh with royal icing. Let dry
In advance, make leaves. Tint 2 oz. fondant dark green; mix in 1/8 teaspoon Gum Tex™. Roll out 1/16 in. thick and cut approximately 20 holly leaves using leaf cutter from cutter set. Draw veins on leaves using back of decorating brush. Place leaves in cornstarch-dusted flower formers to dry. Cut 2 mini leaves by hand for sleigh; set aside.
Prepare 3 boxes white cake mix separately following package instructions. In one portion of batter, gently stir in Red-Red Icing Color to desired shade. (Use clean toothpicks to transfer color from jar to batter). Repeat with Leaf Green Icing Color to color second portion. Repeat with Ivory Icing Color to color third portion.
Place Batter Dividing Ring in the first prepared 9 in. x 1 1/2 in. pan. Pour red-colored batter in outer section and green-colored batter in the middle section and ivory in center section. Fill sections halfway. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
Place ring in second prepared pan. Pour green-colored batter in outer section and ivory-colored batter in the middle section and red-colored batter in center section. Fill sections halfway. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
Place ring in third prepared pan. Pour ivory-colored batter in outer and red-colored batter in the middle section and green-colored batter in the center section. Fill sections halfway. Remove ring from pan as before.
Bake and cool cakes following recipe directions. Stack cakes and ice smooth with ivory buttercream icing.
Tint 3 oz. fondant light green. Cut out 9 trees using tree cutter from cutter set. Position trees 1/4 in. apart on cake sides. Secure with dots of icing if necessary.
Tint 2 oz. fondant light red and roll into 1/4 in. balls for holly berries. Roll 3 mini holly balls for sleigh; set aside.
Outline scallop pattern on cake top and spatula ice area using white buttercream icing.
Transfer snowflake patterns to side of cake, alternating patterns. Using tip 2 and blue buttercream icing, pipe snowflakes on cake sides.
Using ivory buttercream icing, pipe tip 3 bead bottom border.
Attach mini holly leaves and mini holly berries to sleigh using royal icing. Let dry. Position sleigh topper on cake top.
Position holly leaves and berries at bottom border. Attach with dots of buttercream icing.
* Combine Black and Red-Red for dark red shown.
Combine Black, Leaf Green and Brown for dark green shown.
Combine Sky Blue and a touch of Leaf Green for blue shown.