Ski Bum Bear Cake
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Christmas Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Christmas Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Primary Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Primary Colors Multi Pack
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
Sugar ice cream cone
Cake serves 12.
- Easy-Add Stand-Up Cuddly Bear Pan Set Add to shopping list Stand-Up Cuddly Bear Pan Set
- Easy-Add Tip: 1A Add to shopping list Tip: 1A
- Easy-Add Tip: 5 Add to shopping list Tip: 5
- Easy-Add Tip: 233 Add to shopping list Tip: 233
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Plastic Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Plastic Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Cake Boards Add to shopping list Cake Boards
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 8 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 8 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add Flower Former Set Add to shopping list Flower Former Set
- Paring Knife
- Drinking straw
At least one week in advance: Make skis using pattern and green fondant mixed with 1 teaspoon Gum-Tex. Make braces for inserting skis into cake.
Also in advance: Make ski pole baskets. Roll out red fondant 1/8 in. thick; cut 2 circles using wide end of tip 1A. Make a hole in the center of circles using a lollipop stick. Let dry. Make hat: Trim off 1 in. from open end of sugar cone. Cover cone in red fondant. Set aside.
Bake and cool bear cake using firm-textured batter such as pound cake. Trim off arms. For new arms, cut 2 plastic dowel rods to 6 in. long; insert with 3 in. extending from cake. Ice pads of feet and inside ears smooth. Outline facial features using tip 5; pipe in nose with tip 5 (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch). For front paws, shape 1 1/2 x 1/2 in. thick ovals of white fondant. Shape a finger area on each paw and wrap around a 1 1/2 in. piece of drinking straw. Insert a lollipop stick at end of each paw and insert stick into dowel rod arms.
Cover bear with tip 233 pull-out fur. For scarf, roll out red fondant 1/8 in. thick; cut a strip 1/2 x 14 in. long. For fringe, cut slits in ends with knife. Wrap around cake. For tongue, shape a small log of fondant; indent at center and attach with damp brush. Use fondant to shape a 1 in. ball pompom and a 6 x 1/2 in. log for hat brim; flatten brim. Attach to hat with damp brush and position on cake. For ski poles, insert 8 in. lollipop sticks through baskets. Roll a thin log of fondant; wrap around stick, attaching to bottom of basket with damp brush. Immediately before serving, insert ski poles through straws in paws; secure with icing if needed. Insert skis on braces in pads of feet.
Want to stay in touch with the latest from Wilton?
Receive great Wilton decorating ideas and much more! Learn more