Shells in Pastels Mini Cakes
Pretty Pastel Mini Egg Cakes Perfect for Easter Spring has sprung and Easter is here! These delightful Easter egg-shaped mini cakes are so easy to make and, when nestled into a bed of green-tinted coconut "grass," make a dazzling centerpiece for the holiday table. There is a colorful surprise inside these pretty-as-a-picture Shells in Pastels - multi-colored cake! It´s simple to make. Mix four different icing colors into portions of pound cake batter (made from a mix or from scratch), then fill the baking pan with random dollops of colored batter, and bake. Decorating couldn´t be easier. Start with pastel-colored ready-to-use fondant. With a rolling pin, roll the fondant out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into strips and dots for decorations. If desired, add a little twinkle by sprinkling the fondant with cake sparkles (edible glitter) before positioning them on the iced mini cakes. Celebrate the season and share these fanciful mini egg cakes with friends and family.
1 pkg (16 ounces) pound cake mix
3/4 cup water or milk
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add White Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing Add to shopping list White Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Pastel Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Pastel Colors Multi Pack
Cake Sparkles™ (optional)Easy-Add Cake Sparkles™ Add to shopping list Cake Sparkles™
vegetable pan spray
1 1/2 cups coconut shredded
Each cake serves 1.
- Easy-Add Mini Egg Pan Add to shopping list Mini Egg Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 12 Add to shopping list Tip: 12
- Easy-Add Cooling Grid Add to shopping list Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add Metal Spatula Add to shopping list Metal Spatula
- Easy-Add Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Standard Coupler Add to shopping list Standard Coupler
- Easy-Add Cutter/Embosser Add to shopping list Cutter/Embosser
- Tea Strainer
- Plastic bag
Spray mini egg pan cavities with vegetable pan spray.
In large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs and water; beat with electric mixer 3 minutes. Divide batter into 4 small bowls; tint portion of batter a different color.
Fill four disposable decorating bags fitted with tip 12 with tinted batter. Randomly pipe dollops of colored batter in pan cavities, using all of batter.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on cooling grid 8 minutes. Remove from pan and level bottoms.
Ice egg mini cakes smooth. Roll out fondant 1/8 inch thick. Using fondant cutter or sharp knife cut fondant into straight and zig-zag strips. Cut dots using small fondant cutter. Brush all pieces with water and sprinkle with Cake Sparkles crushed through tea strainer or fine sieve. Position fondant on mini cakes.
Place coconut in food-safe plastic bag and add small amount green icing color; knead into coconut until color is evenly blended. Place coconut on serving plate; top with decorated mini cakes.
Note: A favorite pound cake recipe can be substituted for cake mix, water and eggs, if desired.