Sew Very Nice Mother's Day Pillow Cake
Mom will be sitting pretty with this charming pillow cake embellished with a delicate brush embroidery floral design. This elegant cake is enhanced with shimmery Pearl Dust and pretty fondant tassels.
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Piping Gel Add to shopping list Piping Gel
- Easy-Add White Pearl Dust™ Add to shopping list White Pearl Dust™
Cake serves 30.
- 3-Tier Pillow Pan Set (10 x 10 in. pan used)Easy-Add 3-Tier Pillow Pan Set Add to shopping list 3-Tier Pillow Pan Set
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 9 in. Fondant Roller Add to shopping list 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Flower Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Flower Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Leaf Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Leaf Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Tip: 5 Add to shopping list Tip: 5
- Easy-Add Candy Melting Plate Add to shopping list Candy Melting Plate
- Waxed paper
Bake and cool 2-layer cakeusing firm-textured batter such as pound cake. Position on foil-wrapped cake board, cut to fit. Prepare cake for rolled fondant by icing lightly with buttercream.
Cover cake with white fondant. Smooth with Fondant Smoother and trim at seams.
Use a toothpick to mark a 5 1/2 in. square centered on cake top. Imprint floral design using medium and small flower Cut-Outs and medium leaf Cut-Out.
Using rose royal icing and tip 2, pipe zigzag outlines around two petals. Using damp square-tip brush, immediately pull icing toward center of flowers for brush embroidery look. With tip 2, pipe zigzags for an inner 3-petal flower on eachflower; repeat brush embroidery. Repeat process, working two petals or leaves at a time to prevent icing from crusting.
Pipe tip 2 interlocking c-motion lines at center of each 3-petal flower. Pipe tip 2 outline vines
Pipe tip 2 bead border around square. Using Piping Gel technique, transfer MOM pattern inside square. Pipe tip 2 lines to fill in pattern.
Pipe tip 5 beads around seam at cake sides.
For tassels, tint 5 oz. fondant rose. Roll out 1/8 in. thick. Cut a 5 x 2 in. rectangle. Cut 1/8 in. wide x 1 3/4 in. deep slits for fringe, leaving 1/4 in. uncut. Brush uncut edge with water and roll up; separate fringe with fingers. Roll a 7/8 in. ball and attach at top of fringe with damp brush. Cut a 1/4 x 1 1/2 in. strip. Attach around fringe with damp brush. Repeat for three more tassels and attach at corners with damp brush.
Paint all rose details with Pearl Dust/Lemon Extract mixture. Thin Pearl Dust with lemon extract in candy melting plate. Using brush, paint all rose fondant and rose icing with thinned Pearl Dust.