Sassy Shades Cake
School’s out for summer! Celebrate the season by outfitting a 10 in. x 2 in. Round Pan cake with fondant features and sunglasses shaped using our patterns.
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Copper Icing Color (light skin tone) Add to shopping list Copper Icing Color (light skin tone)
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Pink colored sugar Add to shopping list Pink colored sugar
- Easy-Add Lavender Colored Sugar Add to shopping list Lavender Colored Sugar
- Easy-Add Piping Gel Add to shopping list Piping Gel
Cake serves 14
- Easy-Add 10 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 10 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 1A Add to shopping list Tip: 1A
- Easy-Add 9 in. Fondant Roller Add to shopping list 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Star Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Star Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add 4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 4 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add 13 x 19 in. Cake Boards Add to shopping list 13 x 19 in. Cake Boards
- Easy-Add Cake Circles Add to shopping list Cake Circles
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
In advance: Prepare base board. Use cake pan, ponytail and ear patterns to trace shape. Cut out board and wrap with foil.
Also in advance: Prepare fondant trims. Tint fondant: 24 oz. skin tone, 16 oz. yellow, 6 oz. rose, 2 oz. black, 1 oz. light rose.
For ears, roll out skin tone 1/4 in. thick. Use pattern to cut 2 ears (flip pattern for 2nd ear). Roll out small amount 1/16 in. thick. Cut two 1/8 x 5 in. strip details; attach at top curve using damp brush.
For ponytail, roll out yellow 1/2 in. thick. Use pattern to cut ponytail.
For sunglasses, roll out rose 1/4 in. thick and black 1/16 in. thick. Use pattern to cut sunglasses and lenses; attach lenses using damp brush. Brush sunglass frame with Piping Gel and sprinkle with Sparkling Sugar. Set all pieces on cornstarch-dusted surface to dry. Reserve excess fondant. Trim lollipop sticks to 3 in. Attach lollipop sticks to ears with Fondant Adhesive; let dry.
Bake and cool 1-layer cake. Roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick unless otherwise specified. Prepare and cover cake with rolled fondant.
Make bangs and hair details.
For bangs, cover top 1/3 and sides of cake; position pattern and cut bang edge. Position cake and ponytail on prepared board. Roll out small amount of yellow 1/16 in. thick. Cut 1/8 in. wide strip details in 2 to 14 in. lengths; attach over bangs and ponytail using damp brush.
Insert ears in cake sides, securing with fondant adhesive. Roll out violet 1/8 in. thick. Cut 2 earrings using medium star Cut-Out and a 1 1/4 x 2 1/2 in. strip for ponytail band. Brush earrings and sunglasses with Piping Gel and sprinkle with colored sugars; attach. Position sunglasses.
For nose, roll 3/4 in. ball. For smile, cut 1/8 x 4 in. strip. For cheeks, cut 2 circles using wide end of tip 1A. Attach features.
* Combine Lemon Yellow with Golden Yellow for yellow shown.
* Combine Violet with Rose for violet shown.