Romance in the Rain Cake
Shower the bride with a cake as memorable as her day’s celebration. Create a beautiful umbrella in advance with our easy-to-use Gum Paste Mix shaped on the outside of the Sports Ball Pan Set. Add dainty fondant flowers and clouds. Serve an abundant shower of good wishes with this beautiful dessert.
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant (48 oz. needed)Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
Ready-to-Use Pastel Blue Rolled Fondant (72 oz. needed)Easy-Add Ready-to-Use Pastel Blue Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-to-Use Pastel Blue Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Neon Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Neon Colors Multi Pack
- Easy-Add Gum Paste Mix Add to shopping list Gum Paste Mix
- Easy-Add 12 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 12 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Sports Ball Pan Set Add to shopping list Sports Ball Pan Set
- Easy-Add Tip: 1 Add to shopping list Tip: 1
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set Add to shopping list Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set
- Easy-Add Round Cut-Outs Fondant Cutter Add to shopping list Round Cut-Outs Fondant Cutter
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Cake Dividing Set Add to shopping list Cake Dividing Set
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Cutter/Embosser Add to shopping list Cutter/Embosser
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Floral Collection Flower Making Set Add to shopping list Floral Collection Flower Making Set
- Easy-Add Cake Boards Add to shopping list Cake Boards
- Easy-Add 14 in. Round Silver Cake Base Add to shopping list 14 in. Round Silver Cake Base
- Easy-Add Wooden Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Wooden Dowel Rods
- Waxed paper
- 5/8 in. wide white satin-edged ribbon (16 in. needed)
- 3/8 in. wide white satin ribbom (51 in. needed)
At least 3 days in advance: Make large umbrella cake top and flowers. For umbrella, prepare 1 recipe of gum paste. Add 2 oz. of neon yellow fondant to 6 oz. of prepared gum paste. Roll out 1/8 in. thick and cut an 8 in. circle; reserve remaining mixture. Generously dust the outside of one ball pan half with cornstarch and position circle on top. Trim to 3/4 in. above bottom of pan. While still on pan, using Cake Dividing Set, divide circle in 12ths. Using large round Cut-Out, cut a scallop between each division, so that edge of Cut-Out just meets division marks, approximately 3/8 in. deep. Let dry on pan for several days.
For handle, cut a dowel rod to 11 in. long. Wrap top 7 in. of rod with reserved gum paste mixture. For curve of handle, roll a log 1/2 in. thick x 3 1/2 in. long, then flatten to 1/4 in. thick x 5/8 in. wide. Shape into a "J" and let dry 48 hours on waxed paper-covered board. Attach curved piece to side of covered dowel rod with royal icing; let dry. Using 16 in. of ribbon, tie a bow on top of handle. To decorate umbrella, cut 1/8 in. wide x 3 in. long strips of gum paste mixture. Attach from top of umbrella to division points with damp brush. Attach drop flowers at top and division points with royal icing.
For flowers, tint 3 oz. portions of white fondant violet, yellow and pink by kneading in 1/2 in. balls of neon fondant. Roll out colors 1/8 in. thick. Using apple blossom cutter from Flower Making Set, cut 45 yellow and 30 each pink and violet flowers; reserve remaining fondant for umbrellas. Move flowers to thin foam and soften edges with medium ball tool from Confectionery Tool Set. Move flowers to thick foam and cup center with ball tool. Let dry on cornstarch-dusted board. Pipe tip 2 dot centers in royal icing.
Prepare 2-layer round cakes for stacked construction. Prepare cakes for rolled fondant. Cover cakes with blue fondant; smooth with Easy-Glide Smoother. Position on cake base.
Make cake side umbrellas. Tint 3 oz. of white fondant green using icing color. Roll out green and reserved fondant 1/8 in. thick; cut 2 circles in each color using large Cut-Out. Cut each circle in half and, using wide end of tip 1, cut 4 scallops at bottom edge. Imprint ribs of umbrella with straight-edge wheel of Cutter/Embosser. Attach on cake sides, approximately 1 1/2 in. apart, with damp brush. For tops, roll a small ball; for handles, cut a 1/8 x 2 in. long strip. Attach with damp brush. For bottom borders, roll balls of white fondant from 1/4 to 1/2 in. diameter. Flatten slightly and attach with damp brush, overlapping to resemble clouds. Attach flowers to border with royal icing.
Tie ribbon bow to umbrella cake top handle. Insert umbrella cake top in cake. Using piping gel, pipe tip 1 bead raindrops. Attach ribbon to cake base edge.