- 8 x 2 in. Round Pan cake should be 2-layer, 4 in. high
- 12 x 2 in. Round Pan cake should be 2-layer, 4 in. high
- 16 x 2 in. Round Pan cake should be 2-layer, 4 in. high
- Small Swirl Patterns Pattern on pg. 142 in Wilton Wedding Cakes, A Romantic Portfolio book
- Large Swirl Patterns Pattern on pg. 142 in Wilton Wedding Cakes, A Romantic Portfolio book
- 12 in. Styrofoam craft circle
- Fresh Flowers
- Fresh greenery
- 9 Taper Candles
In advance, make approximately 296 large and 212 small royal icing swirls: Place waxed paper over patterns, use royal icing and tip 3 to pipe small swirls and tip 6 to pipe large swirls. Make extra to allow for breakage and let dry.
Ice 2-layer cakes smooth with buttercream icing. Position 8 in. cake on 9 in. plates stacked with 7 in. pillars, place 12 in. cake on 13 in. plates stacked with 5 in pillars, place 16 in. cake on 17 in. plate, raised with 12 in. craft circle.
Attach royal icing swirls to cake with tip 2 and buttercream: On all tiers, attach row of small swirls on top edge of cake, attach row of large swirls on side of cake and attach row of small swirls below large row. Pipe tip 7 bead bottom border on all cakes.
Attach a large swirl between every third bead using tip 2. You will use 44 small and 53 large swirls on 8 in. cake, 62 small and 83 large swirls on 12 in. cake and 106 small and 160 large swirls on 16 in. cake.
At reception: Position fresh flowers, taper candles and greenery.
*Note: The top tier is often saved for the first anniversary. The number of servings given does not include the top tier.
Get Inspiration and Great Deals
Yes, I want to receive new decorating ideas and exclusive offers from Wilton. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Learn more