Red, White & Blue Checkerboard Cake
Bring this cake out for many patriotic occasions: Memorial Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Fourth of July and many more. Create the checkerboard pattern using our Checkerboard Cake Pan.
- Easy-Add White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add Piping Gel Add to shopping list Piping Gel
- Easy-Add White Sparkling Sugar Add to shopping list White Sparkling Sugar
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
• 3 boxes (15.25-18.25 oz. each) white cake mix
water, oil, eggs
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Red (no-taste) Icing Color Add to shopping list Red (no-taste) Icing Color
- 9 in. Fondant Roller with 1/8 in. ringsEasy-Add 9 in. Fondant Roller Add to shopping list 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Star Cut-Outs™ (largest star used)Easy-Add Star Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Star Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add 8 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 8 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Parchment Triangles Add to shopping list Parchment Triangles
- Easy-Add Checkerboard Cake Pan Add to shopping list Checkerboard Cake Pan
- Easy-Add 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid Add to shopping list 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 10 in. Cake Circles Add to shopping list 10 in. Cake Circles
- Easy-Add 13 in. Angled Spatula Add to shopping list 13 in. Angled Spatula
- Easy-Add Tip: 18 Add to shopping list Tip: 18
- Easy-Add 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags
In advance, make stars. Combine 4 oz. of fondant with 1/2 teaspoon of Gum-Tex. Roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick. Use largest star from set to cut seven stars. Brush with piping gel and sprinkle with white sparkling sugar. Let dry for four hours.
Prepare royal icing. Attach lollipop sticks to back of stars with tip 3 and royal icing. Let dry overnight.
Individually prepare 3 boxes white cake mix following package instructions; divide in thirds. In one portion of batter, gently stir Royal Blue Icing Color to desired shade. (Use clean toothpicks to transfer color from jar to batter.) Repeat with No-Taste Red Icing Color and reserve a portion of white batter.
For bottom layer of cake, place Batter Dividing Ring in the first prepared pan. Pour white batter in outer section. Add blue-colored batter in middle section and red-colored batter in center section. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
For top layer, place clean dividing ring in second prepared pan. Pour red-colored batter in outer section. Add white batter in middle section and blue-colored batter in center section. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
For middle layer, place clean and dry ring in third prepared pan. Pour blue-colored batter in outer circle section. Add red-colored batter in middle section and white batter in center section. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. DO NOT PUT RING IN OVEN.
Bake and cool cakes following package directions. Prepare buttercream icing and tint blue. Stack cakes on foil-wrapped cake circle and ice with blue buttercream icing and spatula.
Cut out an additional 10 fondant stars, brush with piping gel and sprinkle with white sparkling sugar. Attach to cake with piping gel.
Trim sticks on stars to various heights and insert in cake top. Use tip 18 and blue buttercream icing to pipe shell bottom border.