Pillows to Dream On Cake
Sweet dreams will last well into the night with this charming cake design. Each tier is decorated with an assortment of different techniques, including brush embroidery. Initial topper adds a personal touch.
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add White Pearl Dust™ Add to shopping list White Pearl Dust™
- Easy-Add White Candy Melts® Candy Add to shopping list White Candy Melts® Candy
- Easy-Add Piping Gel Add to shopping list Piping Gel
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
- Easy-Add clear vanilla extract Add to shopping list clear vanilla extract
Cake serves 128.
- Easy-Add 3-Tier Pillow Pan Set Add to shopping list 3-Tier Pillow Pan Set
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Cutter/Embosser Add to shopping list Cutter/Embosser
- Easy-Add Stepsaving Rose Bouquet Flower Cutter Set Add to shopping list Stepsaving Rose Bouquet Flower Cutter Set
- Easy-Add Leaf Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Leaf Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add 4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 4 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Cake Boards Add to shopping list Cake Boards
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- favorite alphabet font for initial pattern
- Waxed paper
Several days in advance: Make royal icing puddle dots. Pipe 160 dots 3/16 in. diameter for top tier. Pipe 50 each 3/16, 3/8 and 1/2 in. diameter for middle tier. Pipe 130 dots 1/2 in. diameter for bottom tier. Make extras to allow for breakage and let dry. Paint all dots with Pearl Dust/vanilla mixture.
Make fondant initial. Make pattern for initial, up to 5 in. wide, 5 1/2 in. high. Mix 1 1/2 teaspoons Gum-Tex into 12 oz. fondant. Roll out 1/4 in. thick. Using pattern, cut out initial. Paint with Pearl Dust/vanilla mixture. Let dry 2 to 3 days. Use melted candy to attach 2 Lollipop Sticks to back, trimming as needed to leave 2 in. exposed at bottom to insert into cake.
Bake and cool 2-layer cakes using firm-textured batter such as pound cake.
Assemble cake layers on a cut-to-fit cake board. Ice cake smooth and cover top layer with fondant; smooth with Fondant Smoother and trim at seam. Place cake board on top of cake and carefully flip to position covered layer at bottom. Cover top layer with fondant; smooth with Fondant Smoother. Prepare cakes for Stacked Construction.
Decorate cake tops. For top tier: Using a damp brush, attach 1/8 in. wide strips 1 1/2 in. apart to create latticework top. Cut 1/4 in. wide strips and attach over center seam using fondant adhesive. Using royal icing, attach 3/16 in. puddle dots at each latticework intersection.
For middle tier: Use royal icing to attach various puddle dots to top, leaving a 4 in. square section open for top tier. Roll fondant into 3/16 in. thick ropes. Twist 2 together and attach over center seam using fondant adhesive.
For bottom tier: Leave a 5 in. square section open in top center where middle tier will rest. Use large rose cutter to imprint roses. Outline imprint with tip 2 zigzags in royal icing; immediately brush lines inward using Brush Embroidery technique. Repeat for center petals, outlining 3 free-hand petals. Use smallest leaf cutter to imprint leaves. Repeat as above. Pipe tip 2 vines. Use royal icing to attach 1/2 in. puddle dots over center seam. Paint Brush Embroidery details with Pearl Dust/vanilla mixture.
At reception: Stack cakes. Insert initial.