Picnic Crashers Cake
Make guests smile with a colorful cake depicting a barbecue-day buffet. Build the table, foods, and visiting ants around a Sheet Pan cake, using white and multi-color packs of Ready-to-Use Rolled Fondant.
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Primary Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Primary Colors Multi Pack
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Neon Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Neon Colors Multi Pack
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Natural Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Natural Colors Multi Pack
- Easy-Add Yellow Icing Writer™ Add to shopping list Yellow Icing Writer™
- Easy-Add Red Icing Writer™ Add to shopping list Red Icing Writer™
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add Piping Gel Add to shopping list Piping Gel
Cake serves 15.
- Easy-Add 9 x 13 x 2 in. Sheet Pan Add to shopping list 9 x 13 x 2 in. Sheet Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 1 Add to shopping list Tip: 1
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Square Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Square Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Cutter/Embosser Add to shopping list Cutter/Embosser
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Color Tray Add to shopping list Color Tray
- Easy-Add Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set Add to shopping list Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set
- Easy-Add 10 x 14 in. Cake Boards Add to shopping list 10 x 14 in. Cake Boards
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 101 Cookie Cutters Set Add to shopping list 101 Cookie Cutters Set
- Easy-Add Hidden Pillars Add to shopping list Hidden Pillars
- Small Knife
- 16 x 18 in. cardboard
- Hot Glue Gun
Several days in advance: Make the following fondant pieces. For bench seats, mix 1 pk. light brown and 1 pk. dark brown fondant; add 1/2 teaspoon of Gum-Tex and knead together. Roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick and cut two 13 x 1 1/2 in. wide strips. Let dry on cornstarch-dusted surface. For hamburger bun tops and bottoms, roll a 3/4 in. ball of light brown fondant for each and flatten to a 1 3/8 in. circle; make 8. For hamburgers, roll a 1 in. ball of dark-brown fondant for each and flatten to a 1 3/8 in. circle; make 4. Place each hamburger between 2 buns. For hot dog buns, roll a 1 in. ball of light brown fondant into a 2 1/4 in. oval; cut a center slit with knife; make 3. For hot dogs, roll 1 in. ball of red fondant into a 1 3/4 in. log, make 3. Press into center of bun. For mustard, roll thin strips of yellow fondant and attach to tops of hot dogs with damp brush. For ketchup and mustard bottles, separately roll red and yellow fondant into 1 1/2 x 3/4 in. wide logs; flatten ends. Make a 3/4 in. teardrop in each color for bottle caps and attach with damp brush. For glasses, roll 1/2 in. ball of white fondant into a 1 in. log, flatten bottom; make 4. Using medium ball tool from confectionery set, indent inside log for opening. Paint sides with yellow Icing Writer. For pitcher, roll 2 in. ball of white fondant and shape into a 1 1/2 in. pitcher. Shape a spout with fingers. Using medium ball tool, indent inside of pitcher for opening. For handle, roll a thin log of white fondant 1 1/2 in. long and attach with damp brush. Paint sides with yellow Icing Writer.
For watermelon, roll 1 in. red fondant ball into a 2 x 1 1/4 in. deep wedge. Roll a 4 x 5/8 in. wide strip of green fondant for rind and attach with damp brush. Roll small black fondant dots and attach for seeds. Repeat process for small watermelon wedges, to measure 1 in. wide at bottom. For plates, roll out white fondant 1/8 in. thick; cut 4 plates using medium round cookie cutter and one platter using large round cookie cutter. Mark indentations at plate edges using Cutter/Embosser. Let dry on cornstarch-dusted surface. For bench and table legs, cut 10 hidden pillars 2 in. long. Mix equal amounts of dark and light brown fondant and attach with damp brush. For grass, tint 48 oz. of white fondant Kelly Green. Roll out 1/8 in. thick and cut a 1 x 6 in. strip for each leg; reserve remaining green fondant. Cut slits with scissors for grass blades and attach to bottoms of bench and table legs with damp brush; let dry. For grass board, cut edges of 16 x 18 in. cardboard in a wavy shape using scissors. Roll out reserved green fondant 1/8 in. thick. Cover prepared board with fondant; smooth with Easy-Glide Smoother.
Prepare 1-layer cake for rolled fondant by lightly icing with buttercream. Cut two 10 x 14 in. cake boards 1/2 in. larger than cake, tape together and wrap with foil. Position cake. Roll out white fondant 13 x 17 x 1/8 in. thick and position on cake for tablecloth, smoothing top with Easy-Glide Smoother and letting sides fall naturally. Use smallest square Cut-Out to imprint checkerboard pattern on tablecloth beginning at bottom of longest side. Paint alternating squares with red Icing Writer thinned with water. Let dry.
Cut an additional board the same size as cake board; wrap with foil. Attach 6 legs (1 in each corner and 2 in center) to bottom of board with hot glue; let dry. Position cake on base at event. Position 2 legs and 1 bench at each table side. In buttercream, pipe tip 2 dot ants with tip 1 pull-out legs. Position dinnerware and food.