Perky Petals Cake
Rolled fondant has become a popular decorating option – it's so easy to shape so even less experienced decorators can create something lovely. This is a great example. The quilted texture on the cake looks great against the bold, multi-hued daffodils. Watch our online video.
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Sky Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Sky Blue Icing Color
Your favorite 2-layer cake mix
Cake serves 40.
- Easy-Add 6 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 6 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add 10 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 10 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set Add to shopping list Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set
- Easy-Add Fondant Shaping Foam Set Add to shopping list Fondant Shaping Foam Set
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Candy Melting Plate or Custard CupEasy-Add Candy Melting Plate Add to shopping list Candy Melting Plate
- Easy-Add Cake Circles Add to shopping list Cake Circles
- Easy-Add Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 4 Add to shopping list Tip: 4
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Flower Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Flower Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Leaf Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Leaf Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Cutter/Embosser Add to shopping list Cutter/Embosser
- Easy-Add Ceramic Pedestal Cake Stand Add to shopping list Ceramic Pedestal Cake Stand
- Easy-Add Flower Spikes Add to shopping list Flower Spikes
- Waxed paper
- 12 pieces 22-gauge fabric-covered florist wire each 9 inches long
- Florist tape
In advance, tint portions of fondant yellow, rose, violet, blue and green; roll out 1/8 in. thick. Cut a variety of yellow, rose and violet flowers using large, medium and small Cut-Outs. Dry all large and half of the medium flowers in each color on waxed paper covered board, dusted with cornstarch. Shape all small flowers and the remaining half of the medium flowers using the medium ball tool from confectionery set on thick shaping foam. For flower centers, roll a 1/8 in. white ball and attach to center of cupped flowers with damp brush. Let dry in melting plate cavities dusted with cornstarch. Cut leaves from green fondant. Make extras of each size to allow for breakage.
Bake your favorite 2-layer cake recipe or mix following recipe instructions in 6 in., and 10 in. pans. Cool layers in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely. Arrange each size cake on a separate foil-wrapped cake board. Prepare for stacked construction. Lightly ice each cake in buttercream icing to prepare for fondant covering.
Roll out white fondant 1/8 in. thick. Cover cakes; smooth. Using wavy-edge wheel of Cutter/Embosser, score diagonal lines on each cake side, 1-1/4 in. apart. Pipe tip 3 buttercream dots at intersecting points. Pipe tip 4 bead bottom borders.
For large flowers, attach a cupped medium flower to large flower with thinned fondant adhesive. For small flowers, attach small flower to flat medium flower. To make bouquet, attach 9 to 12 assorted flowers to 9 in. pieces of wire with adhesive; let dry. Arrange wired flowers facing forward; tape together with florist tape. Trim wires as needed. Insert bouquet in flower spike. Attach leaves to bouquet with adhesive.
At the celebration, stack cakes. Insert flower spike in center of 6 in. cake. Attach remaining flowers and leaves to cake sides with dots of icing.