Perfect Landing Cake
“Lots a Luck” is a great cake to commemorate a graduation, new job, retirement or travel plans. For smaller gatherings, let the plane land on a covered cake board; for larger parties, increase the size of your sheet cake base.
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Sky Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Sky Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
3 in. round cookies
Cake serves 40.
- Easy-Add Cross Pan Add to shopping list Cross Pan
- Easy-Add 12 x 18 in. Sheet Pan Add to shopping list 12 x 18 in. Sheet Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 4 Add to shopping list Tip: 4
- Easy-Add Tip: 17 Add to shopping list Tip: 17
- Easy-Add Tip: 21 Add to shopping list Tip: 21
- Easy-Add Hidden Pillars Add to shopping list Hidden Pillars
- Easy-Add 13 x 19 in. Cake Board Add to shopping list 13 x 19 in. Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Designer Groomsman
- Easy-Add 4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 4 in. Lollipop Sticks
- silver posterboard
- black posterboard
- Red satin ribbon 1/4 in. wide x 4 in. long
Cut 3 1/2 in. circle for propeller from black posterboard; cut 2 in. semi-circle windshield from silver posterboard. Using royal icing, pipe tip 4 circular motion lines on propeller; gently bend windshield. Set aside.
Ice 1-layer sheet cake smooth. Cut 5 hidden pillars to 3 in. long and insert into sheet cake to support plane.
Trim bottom end of cross cake to a point to resemble plane's tail and cut hole for seat area. Place plane cake on board cut 1 in. larger than cake.
Ice sides of wings smooth in blue. Position cake on pillars. Insert lollipop sticks into both sides of tail, leaving about 2 in. extending; attach cookies, cut in half, to lollipop sticks with icing, attach center cookie half to cake with icing.
Trace plane details with toothpick, then outlline with tip 4. Cover seat area with tip 4 zigzags; position groomsman. Pipe tip 3 uniform, goggles and helmet on groomsman.
Cover plane with tip 17 stars. Attach propeller with icing and insert windshield. Print tip 3 message.
Pipe tip 21 zigzag puff clouds around plane and for top and bottom border of sheet cake.
(Note: Combine Lemon Yellow and Golden Yellow to achieve airplane shade.)