Pastel Pastures Checkerboard Cake
What a lovely dessert to set on your Easter table. Egg cookies decorated with complementary spring colors set atop a checkerboard cake trimmed with pull-out grass.
- Easy-Add Color Flow Mix Add to shopping list Color Flow Mix
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
Rose Icing Color (Combine Violet with Rose for violet shown)Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Sky Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Sky Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
Golden Yellow Icing Color (Combine Lemon Yellow with Golden Yellow for yellow shown)Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
3 boxes (15.25-18.25 oz. each) white cake mix
water, oil, eggs
Cake serves 20.
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Easter 18 Pc. Cutter Collection (small egg used)Easy-Add Easter 18 Pc. Cutter Collection Add to shopping list Easter 18 Pc. Cutter Collection
- 101 Cookie Cutter Set (large egg used)Easy-Add 101 Cookie Cutter Set Add to shopping list 101 Cookie Cutter Set
- Easy-Add Non-Stick Cookie Sheet Add to shopping list Non-Stick Cookie Sheet
- Easy-Add 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid Add to shopping list 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add Parchment Triangles Add to shopping list Parchment Triangles
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 14 Add to shopping list Tip: 14
- Easy-Add 4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 4 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add Checkerboard Cake Pan Set Add to shopping list Checkerboard Cake Pan Set
- Easy-Add 10 in. Cake Circles Add to shopping list 10 in. Cake Circles
- Easy-Add Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 13 in. Angled Spatula Add to shopping list 13 in. Angled Spatula
- Easy-Add Cake Divider Set Add to shopping list Cake Divider Set
- Easy-Add 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Tip: 233 Add to shopping list Tip: 233
Step 1 One day in advance: Make cookies. Prepare cookie dough and roll out 1/8 in. thick. Cut five small eggs using egg cutter from 18-piece set. Bake and cool.
Prepare Color Flow icing. Tint portions violet, rose, green, blue and yellow.
For egg cookies, use tip 3 and full-strength Color Flow icing to outline cookies. Use a cut parchment bag and thinned Color Flow icing to fill in cookies. Let set. Attach lollipop sticks to backs of cookies with full-strength Color Flow icing. Set aside.
Individually prepare three boxes white cake mix following package instructions. Divide in thirds. In one portion of batter, gently stir in violet icing color to desired shade. (Use clean toothpicks to transfer color from jar to batter.) Repeat with rose icing color for second portion and yellow icing color in third portion.
For bottom layer, place Batter Dividing Ring in the first prepared pan. Pour yellow-colored batter in outer section, rose-colored batter in middle section and violet-colored batter in center. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
For top layer, place clean ring in second prepared pan. Pour violet-colored batter in outer section, yellow-colored batter in middle section and rose-colored batter in center. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
For middle layer, place clean ring in third prepared pan. Pour rose-colored batter in outer section, violet-colored batter in middle section and yellow-colored batter in center. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles.
Individually bake and cool cakes following recipe directions. Prepare buttercream icing. Tint portions blue and green. Stack and position cake on foil-wrapped cake circle. Ice cake smooth with blue buttercream icing and spatula.
Divide cake into eights with cake dividing chart. Impress large egg cookies on sides of cake at division points. Outline with tip 3 and pipe-in desired egg design.
Use tip 233 and green buttercream icing to pipe pull-out grass bottom border and to pipe pull-outgrass on top of cake. Insert small cookies on cake top.