Party Pitch Cake
Batters and non-batters will line up to get a peek at this baseball-player cake. Use the Party Pitch Cake Face Pattern to add grand-slam personality to a Soccer Ball Pan cake.
- Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Brown Icing Color Add to shopping list Brown Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
Cake serves 13.
- Easy-Add Soccer Ball Pan Add to shopping list Soccer Ball Pan
- Easy-Add Mini Ball Pan Add to shopping list Mini Ball Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Plastic Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Plastic Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Parchment Triangles Add to shopping list Parchment Triangles
- Easy-Add Cake Boards Add to shopping list Cake Boards
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Waxed paper
In advance: Prepare fondant pieces. Add 2 teaspoons Gum-Tex to 17 1/2 oz. fondant. Tint as follows: 4 1/2 oz. light brown, 3 1/2 oz. dark brown, 4 oz. black, 2 oz. blue; reserve remaining 3 1/2 oz. white.
For Hat Brim: Roll out blue 1/8 in. thick. Use pattern to cut brim.
For Bat: Shape a light brown circle 1/4 x 1 in. for bottom. Use remaining light brown to shape 7 1/2 in. long bat with 4 in. diameter top, 2 1/2 in. diameter bottom.
For Mitt: Using pattern, shape dark brown fondant, about 3/4 in. thick at wrist. Press with thumb to form ball pocket. Push onto 4 in. dowel rod; use knife to shape fingers and thumb.
For Hand: Using pattern, shape white fondant, about 3/4 in. thick at wrist, tapering to 3/8 in. at fingers. Insert 4 in. dowel rod at wrist. Use knife to cut slits for fingers; shape and wrap around another dowel rod, lightly greased to avoid sticking.
For Shoes: Shape black fondant into 2 tapered ovals, about 3/4 x 3 in. long. Push onto end of 4 1/2 in. dowel rods. Let all pieces dry 2-3 days on cornstarch-dusted surface.
Bake and cool 1 Mini Ball and 1/2 Soccer Ball cake. Position soccer ball on foil-covered board; ice smooth. Tint fondant as follows: 2 1/2 oz. blue, 2 oz. red, 1 1/2 oz. black; reserve 1/2 oz. white. Roll out all 1/8 in. thick.
Use patterns to cut whites of eyes, pupils, mouth and tongue; position on cake. Cut 1/4 in. red strips for sock stripes; attach to dowel rod with damp brush, trimming to fit.
Cut 1/4 x 11 in. long red strips for baseball seams; cut 1/4 x 1 in. strips for stitches, pinching to V-shape. Attach using damp brush.
Position arms and legs by pushing dowel rods into cake. Attach bottom circle to bat with icing and slide bat into hand. Shape 1/4 in. fondant cones for spikes; use icing to attach to bottom of shoes in 2 rows, 4 spikes each.
Prepare Mini Ball for rolled fondant. Roll out blue fondant 1/8 in. thick; cover cake, trimming bottom edges. Divide into 8ths. Cut 1/8 in. wide strips; using damp brush, attach over marks for seams. Roll small ball and flatten for top button; attach with damp brush. Attach hat cake to fondant brim with icing. Position hat on ball.