Our Family's Branching Out Cake
Every family member is accounted for on his dessert. Round cookies are decorated to resemble each relative. Hung on branches made with florist wire and green florist tape and green leaves.
- Easy-Add Pink Icing Color Add to shopping list Pink Icing Color
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Brown Icing Color Add to shopping list Brown Icing Color
- Easy-Add Daffodil Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Daffodil Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add FoodWriter™ Fine Tip Primary Colors Edible Color Markers Add to shopping list FoodWriter™ Fine Tip Primary Colors Edible Color Markers
Cake serves 40; each cookie serves 1.
- Easy-Add Circle Metal Cookie Cutter Add to shopping list Circle Metal Cookie Cutter
- Easy-Add Tip: 2D Add to shopping list Tip: 2D
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 4 Add to shopping list Tip: 4
- Easy-Add Tip: 13 Add to shopping list Tip: 13
- Easy-Add Tip: 18 Add to shopping list Tip: 18
- Easy-Add Tip: 21 Add to shopping list Tip: 21
- Easy-Add Tip: 352 Add to shopping list Tip: 352
- parchment bag
- Waxed paper
- 18-gauge florist wire
- Green florist tape
- Green curling ribbon
In advance: Cut Roll-Out Cookie Dough using Circle Metal Cutter; cut a hole at top using narrow end of tip 4; bake and cool.
Using royal icing, pipe 20 tip 2D swirl drop flowers with tip 3 dot centers on waxed paper. Using thinned royal icing in cut parchment bag, pipe 1 and 1 1/2 in. circle faces on waxed paper; let dry.
Attach faces to cookies with royal icing. Using thinned royal icing in cut bag, pipe dot nose. Using full-strength royal icing, pipe hair with tips 3 and 13. Draw eyes and mouth with FoodWriter™ markers.
Also: Make 12 branches using 18-gauge wrapped florist wire, using one 14 in. and one 10 in. length for each branch. Twist the 2 lengths together leaving 4 in. length of single wire at bottom.
Wrap with florist tape, adding 3 Green Leaves and leaving 4 in. at bottom untaped. Tape on an 8 in. wire for side branch; add 2 leaves.
Ice smooth 2-layer 12 in. round cake (3 in. high) in buttercream and prepare for tall-tier construction, using one 6 1/2 and one 7 3/4 in. column for tree trunk.
Pipe tip 21 shell bottom border and tip 18 shell top border. Print tip 4 message. Attach flowers with icing and add tip 352 leaves.
Insert branches in center column; if all wires won't fit, attach to outside of column with melted candy, then wrap with floral tape.
Lightly ice trunk; overpipe with tip 21 stripes. Thread a 12 in. curling ribbon through hole in cookie; tie onto branches.