Oh What a Knight! Cake
Oh What a Knight Cake would be appropriate for a bachelorette party (she’s finally found her knight!) or as a “thank you” for someone who has come to your rescue!
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Brown Icing Color Add to shopping list Brown Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Copper Icing Color (light skin tone) Add to shopping list Copper Icing Color (light skin tone)
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add White Candy Melts® Candy Add to shopping list White Candy Melts® Candy
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
Cake serves 26.
- Easy-Add 3-D Rubber Ducky Pan Add to shopping list 3-D Rubber Ducky Pan
- Easy-Add 13 x 9 7/8 in. Oval Pan Add to shopping list 13 x 9 7/8 in. Oval Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 16 Add to shopping list Tip: 16
- Easy-Add Tip: 21 Add to shopping list Tip: 21
- Easy-Add Cake Boards Add to shopping list Cake Boards
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Hidden Pillars 6 in.Easy-Add Hidden Pillars Add to shopping list Hidden Pillars
- Easy-Add 8 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 8 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Hot Glue Gun
Divide and tint fondant as follows: 8 oz. gray, 4 oz. red, 3 oz. blue, 1 oz. yellow, 2 oz. copper (skin tone), 3 oz. black, reserve 3 oz, white.
Begin fondant decorations at least 2 days in advance. Begin Knight: add 1/4 teaspoon Gum-Tex to 4 oz. gray fondant. Roll out 1/8 in. thick and cut out Knight upper body pattern. Do not cut out legs yet. Cut out face area of helmet. Add 1/8 teaspoon Gum-Tex to 2 oz. copper (skin tone) fondant. Roll out and cut face area 1/4 in. smaller than size of helmet. Attach to underside of helmet with damp brush. Add 1/8 teaspoon Gum-Tex to 2 oz. red fondant. Cut 2 x 1/4 in. wide strips for plume. Let dry on corn starch-dusted cake board.
Make horse legs: Cut 4 hidden pillars to 4 1/2 in. long. Roll out white fondant; wrap top 2 1/2 in. of pillars with white fondant. Roll out black fondant into 1/2 in. wide strips and attach on white fondant lining up with bottom edge. Let dry. Trace bottom of Rubber Ducky Pan on cake board and cut out, cover with foil. Hot glue the pillars to the board in leg formation, attaching at the fondant-covered ends. Set aside.
Bake and cool 1-layer oval and 3-D Ducky cake using firm-textured batter. Ice oval cake smooth in buttercream icing. Pipe tip 352 pull out leaves bottom border. Cut out 2 cake boards same size as bottom of ducky cake. Cover with foil and position cake, securing cake to board with icing. Decorate horse: Mound icing on duck's bill to create muzzle.
Form ears out of fondant and attach with icing. Using tip 3, pipe eyes, nose and mouth. Cover cake with white fondant and top of pillar legs with tip 16 stars. Roll out red fondant and cut strip 1/2 x 8 in.; attach around muzzle. Cut a strip 1/2 x 10 in. long and attach around back of head.
Using pattern and blue fondant, cut out saddle. Using pattern and yellow fondant, cut out fleur-de-lis; attach to saddle with damp brush. Position saddle on cake. Cut 1/2 in. wide strips out of red fondant and attach around saddle and to bottom border on each side of cake. Add tip 21 pull out star mane and tail.
Complete Knight: Attach 2 lollipop sticks to the back of knight with melted candy. Attach red strips for plume with melted candy. Cover ends with small strip of fondant. Position and insert knight on horse. Roll out grey fondant 1/2 in. thick and cut out knight's legs reversing pattern for opposite leg. Position and attach to back of knight with melted candy.
Cut a 1 x 4 in. strip of gray fondant and cover ends where legs and body are attached. Form a spear out of gray fondant and attach to end of lollipop stick. Attach spear to hand with melted candy. Form a small piece of gray fondant into hand shape and attach over spear.
Assemble: Insert hidden pillar legs into oval cake top. Position horse with knight.