New Kid on the Blocks Cake
He’s king of the hill for his special first birthday! And why not? It’s been a year of so many “firsts” for this little one. Have fun creating baby and bear with our Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant. Make bright blocks using layered 6 in. square cakes.
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Sky Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Sky Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Copper Icing Color (light skin tone) Add to shopping list Copper Icing Color (light skin tone)
- Easy-Add Brown Icing Color Add to shopping list Brown Icing Color
- Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
Cake serves 48.
- Easy-Add 6 x 2 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 6 x 2 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 1 Add to shopping list Tip: 1
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Tip: 2A Add to shopping list Tip: 2A
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 8 Add to shopping list Tip: 8
- Easy-Add Tip: 16 Add to shopping list Tip: 16
- Easy-Add Cooling Grid Add to shopping list Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add Globe Pillar Sets Add to shopping list Globe Pillar Sets
- Easy-Add Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add 12 in. Cake Circles Add to shopping list 12 in. Cake Circles
- Easy-Add Cake Boards Add to shopping list Cake Boards
- Easy-Add Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 101 Cookie Cutters Set Add to shopping list 101 Cookie Cutters Set
- Easy-Add Baby Treats Candy Molds Add to shopping list Baby Treats Candy Molds
- Cellophane Tape
One day in advance: Make fondant baby, hat, bear and train cars. Tint fondant as follows: 6 1/2 oz. dark brown, 1 oz. light brown, 2 oz. blue, 1/2 oz. black, 1 oz. violet, 3 oz. orange, 2 oz. green, 8 oz. copper. For baby, use two 2 1/2 in. globes; tape one end of one globe closed for head. Roll out copper 1/8 in. thick; cover both globes, leaving bottom end of head and both ends of body open. Cover bottom half of body with white for diaper, top half with green for shirt. For arms, roll 2 copper logs, 1 1/2 x 3/8 in.; flatten one end and cut slits for fingers. Attach with fondant adhesive. Make copper feet 1 3/4 x 1 in. wide; attach 1/4 to 3/8 in. ball toes. Cut black eyes with narrow end of tip 8; attach. For mouth, roll out black 1/8 in. thick; cut circle with wide end of any tip, then move up to cut crescent mouth and attach. Roll out green and cut 1/4 in. wide strips for sleeves; attach. Roll small copper ball for nose; attach. In copper, cut tip 2A cheeks and ears; cut ear circle in half and attach. For hat, roll a 1 1/2 in. blue ball; shape into a cone. For fringe, cut a 1/2 x 3 in. long white strip; cut slits 1/8 in. apart and attach. For number, roll a small white log; cut sections. Print name with tip 1 and buttercream.
To make bear: Roll a 2 in. x 1 3/4 in. dark brown oval body, a 1 1/2 in. ball head, 1 1/4 in. x 1/2 in. logs for arms and 1 1/2 in. x 3/4 in. logs for legs; attach with fondant adhesive. Shape 1/2 in. dark brown ears; flatten small brown balls for inside ears, muzzle and pads of feet. Roll out light brown 1/16 in. thick and cut 1 1/2 in. oval for belly; attach. Pipe tip 2 dot eyes and outline mouth in buttercream. For train engine, press orange fondant into train candy mold; unmold. For other cars, roll out orange, blue and violet fondant 1/2 in. thick; cut 1 in. x 1 1/2 in. rectangles. Cut contrasting color wheels with wide end of tip 2A. Pipe tip 2 trim.
Bake and cool 3-layer cakes (you will need two 2 in. and one 1 in. layer for each 5 in. high cake). Stack cakes; place 2 cakes on 7 in. square foil-wrapped boards, 1 cake on board cut to fit and 1 cake on 12 in. foil-wrapped cake circle. Prepare all cakes except one on 7 in. square for stacked construction. Pipe tip 16 star letters and borders on sides, 3/4 in. wide. Pipe tip 3 outline tracks.
At party: Assemble A-B-Y cakes. Insert 9 in. dowel rod in B cake; position baby over dowel rod. Position bear, train and train cars.
*Note: Combine Violet and Rose for violet shown. Combine Brown with Red-Red for brown shown.