Naturally Curly Cake
With rolled fondant, it’s easy to get all the details right: from skin that looks as smooth as a baby’s bottom, to the pudgy toes and the cute curly top.
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Copper Icing Color (light skin tone) Add to shopping list Copper Icing Color (light skin tone)
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
Cake serves 44.
- Easy-Add 8 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 8 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add 9 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 9 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 8 Add to shopping list Tip: 8
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add All-Purpose Decorating Gloves Add to shopping list All-Purpose Decorating Gloves
- Easy-Add Decorator Brush Set Add to shopping list Decorator Brush Set
- Easy-Add 4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 4 in. Lollipop Sticks
One or two days in advance make hair curl: Tint a 2 in. ball of fondant black. Cut ball in half; roll one piece into a 1/4 in. diameter x 6 in. long rope and shape into curl. Insert lollipop stick into bottom of curl and let dry on surface dusted with cornstarch. Reserve remaining black fondant in plastic bag.
Prepare 1-layer 8 and 9 in. cakes for rolled fondant. Tint 48 oz. fondant skin tone; cover 9 in. head cake and 8 in. body cake. Smooth with Easy-Glide Smoother.
For ears, cut a 2 in. circle from cake board; cut in half and cover with skin tone fondant. For feet, trace pattern or foot cutter as pattern and cut from cake board; cover with fondant. Roll and attach fondant ball toes with dots of icing. Cut four lollipop sticks to 3 in. long; insert two each through corrugations in cake board ears and insert into cake.
Using 12 oz. fondant, roll out and form diaper; position on cake and cut to fit. Imprint belly button with small opening of tip 8.
Using skin tone fondant, shape arms; brush backs of arms with water and attach to body. Position feet. Position head.
Roll and attach 1/2 in. ball of skin tone fondant for nose with water; roll out and attach two 1/2 in. rose fondant balls for cheeks. Shape and attach black fondant eyes and mouth. Insert curl.