Nap Time with a Secret Baby Cake
Just as colorful on the inside as well as the outside, this marbled cake reveals if baby is a boy or girl. Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant in white and pastel colors makes creating this cake fun and easy! It’s just the cake to serve at your baby reveal celebration.
White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant (60 oz. needed)Easy-Add White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Creamy Peach Icing Color Add to shopping list Creamy Peach Icing Color
2-layer white cake mix or recipe for favorite cake (2 boxes needed)
- Easy-Add Sky Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Sky Blue Icing Color
Rose Icing Color (for baby reveal)Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Pastel Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Pastel Colors Multi Pack
- Easy-Add FoodWriter™ Fine Tip Primary Colors Edible Color Markers Add to shopping list FoodWriter™ Fine Tip Primary Colors Edible Color Markers
- Plastic ruler
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin
- large fondant cutter
- Easy-Add Decorator Brush Set Add to shopping list Decorator Brush Set
- Easy-Add 9 in. x 13 in. sheet pan Add to shopping list 9 in. x 13 in. sheet pan
- Easy-Add Cooling Grid Add to shopping list Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Spatula Add to shopping list Spatula
- Easy-Add Detail Embosser Add to shopping list Detail Embosser
- Easy-Add Square Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Square Cut-Outs™
In advance: Make pillow, body and head.
Make pillow: Form 8 oz. white fondant into block, 3.5 in. x 5 in. Shape into pillow form--edges thinner; center of pillow should be approximately 1 1/8 in. thick. Roll out white fondant 1/16 in. thick and cut two rectangles 3 3/4 in. x 6 3/4 in. Attach to both sides of pillow with damp brush. Cut two strips 7 1/2 in. x 3/4 in. Attach to narrow edges of pillow on both sides with damp brush
Make body: Form 8 oz. white fondant into oval, 5 in. x 2 1/2 in..
Make head: Tint 9 oz. white fondant light peach. Reserve 1 oz. fondant; roll remaining into a half ball, 3 3/4 in. diameter.
Make cake: Prepare cake mixes to equal 7 cups batter required for 9 in. x 13 in. pan.
Tint 2 cups of batter baby reveal color.
Pour white batter into pan. Randomly spoon tinted batter on top and gently swirl together.
Bake 1-layer cake following recipe directions. Cool completely.
Ice cake smooth.
Position pillow, body and head on cake top.
Roll out white fondant 1/16 in. thick and cut rectangle 12 in. x 10 1/2 in. Position on cake top with the long edge going across the short length of the cake, covering body and one third of the head.
Roll out blue, yellow, green and pink fondant 1/16 in thick. Cut five squares of each color using largest square Cut-Out. Using Deluxe Detail Embosser stitch wheel decorate edges of fondant squares. Attach squares to blanket with damp brush alternating colors
Roll out remaining white fondant 1/16 in. thick and cut two strips 3/4 in. x 12 in. and two strips 3/4 in. x 10 1/2 in.
Attach one 12 in. strip to top edge of blanket with damp brush.
Fringe the short edges of remaining strips and attach to blanket borders with damp brush.
Make hands: Shape hands with fingers and attach to blanket edge with damp brush.
Make nose: Shape 1/4 in. diameter ball into nose shape and attach to head with damp brush
Using black edible color marker, draw eyes. Let dry