Medieval Fortress Castle Cake
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add White Candy Melts® Candy Add to shopping list White Candy Melts® Candy
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Natural Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Natural Colors Multi Pack
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Primary Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Primary Colors Multi Pack
- Easy-Add clear vanilla extract Add to shopping list clear vanilla extract
- Easy-Add Piping Gel Add to shopping list Piping Gel
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
Cake serves 56.
- Easy-Add 6 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 6 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add 10 x 2 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 10 x 2 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add Romantic Castle Cake Set Add to shopping list Romantic Castle Cake Set
- Easy-Add Oval Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Oval Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Square Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Square Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Cutter/Embosser Add to shopping list Cutter/Embosser
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- 20 in. x 1/2 in. thick foamcore square or circle
- Construction paper
- Thin wooden skewers
- Waxed paper
- Cellophane Tape
- Paring Knife
Tint 96 oz. white fondant gray using black color; remove 8 oz. and tint dark gray. Tint remaining white fondant blue. Using door piece as pattern, cut out 1/2 in. thick brown fondant for drawbridge. Score wood lines with straight wheel of Cutter/Embosser.
For castle towers being inserted into cake, attach dowel rods, cut 1 in. shorter than height of tier, to bottoms of 4 small and 1 medium turret towers using melted candy. Brush all towers lightly with Piping Gel. Roll out light gray fondant 1/8 in. thick. Cover towers with light gray fondant; smooth with fingers.
For castle bricks, imprint towers with small square Cut-Out. Roll out blue fondant 1/8 in. thick; mark 4 small, 1 medium and 4 large turret peak patterns with toothpick and cut out with knife. Brush turret peaks in set lightly with Piping Gel; attach fondant pieces, wrapping around peaks. Roll out black fondant 1/8 in. thick. Mark small and large/medium window patterns for corresponding towers; cut out with knife and attach to towers with damp brush.
For window ledges, roll out yellow fondant 1/8 in. thick; cut oval using medium Cut-Out and attach, trimming to fit.
For stonework around castle tower windows, shape balls of dark gray fondant in various sizes; flatten and attach.
For bunting beneath windows, roll out red fondant 1/16 in. thick. Using knife, cut a 1 1/2x 2 in. strip. Gather strip and form folds in fondant by placing one skewer under bottom edge of strip and one on top, next to the first skewer. Repeat with more skewers to form three folds. Remove skewers and gather fondant at each end. Pinch ends of fondant and taper; trim as needed. Brush back of strip with damp brush and attach below window.
For battlement squares on cake top borders, roll out light gray fondant 1/8 in. thick; cut squares using smallest Cut-Out. Let dry on cornstarch-dusted board.
For drawbridge ropes, paint two 4 in. lollipop sticks with black color thinned with vanilla; let dry.
Prepare 3-layer 10 in. cake (bake three 10 x 2 in. layers; trim one layer to 1 in. high to make a 5 in. high cake) and 2-layer 6 in. cake for rolled fondant by icing lightly with thinned buttercream. Prepare cakes for stacked construction. Cover cakes with light gray fondant.
For bricks, imprint sides with smallest square Cut-Out. Roll out black fondant 1/8 in. thick. Mark door and window patterns with toothpick; large windows will be used on cake sides and large turret towers, small windows will be used on medium and small turret towers. Cut out windows and door.
Attach with damp brush. Cut and attach window ledges and bunting as for towers; shape and attach stonework around windows as above. Attach battlement squares with royal icing around top borders.
Position cake on foil-wrapped base board. For flag bases, roll a 3/8 in. ball of blue fondant; flatten slightly and insert a lollipop stick cut to 2 in., supporting with royal icing if needed. Let dry. Attach large towers to sides of 10 in. cake with icing.
Insert medium tower at center of 6 in. cake and 4 small towers in 10 in. cake. Cut 2 1/4 x 1 in. flags from construction paper. Attach to sticks with icing, then attach bases to turret peaks. Ice base board fluffy in buttercream. Position drawbridge on base board. Attach ropes diagonally on each side of drawbridge.
*Brand confectionery coating.
**Tint white fondant Royal Blue with a little Rose.