Make-A-Wish Fish Cake
It's no fish story—this cake is decorated without tips, but it's clever enough to hook any crowd. You'll use a spatula to create the scales on top, then add candies for all the features. Watch our online video.
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
red jelly candy slices
orange jelly candy slices
Large white gumdrop
Small purple spice drops
Mini chocolate candies
Cake serves 10.
- Easy-Add 8 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 8 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Metal Spatula Add to shopping list Metal Spatula
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Paring Knife
Bake your favorite 1-layer cake recipe or mix in round pan. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely. Add crumb coating to cake with metal spatula.
Trace round pan on a 14 in. cake board. Draw in top fin and tail against the 8 in. tracing on the board creating fish shape. Cut out the board; wrap with foil. Arrange cake on prepared board.
Combine green and yellow icing colors to tint icing. Using spatula, ice top in an up-and-down scallop motion to create a scale effect, then ice sides bringing down the same motion. For eye, attach a M&M to a gumdrop using a dot of icing; position on cake.
Cut spice drops horizontally in half. Place on a flat surface sprinkled with granulated sugar and flatten with a rolling pin or your hand. Position flattened spice drops on cake top.
Position red jelly slices for lips. Position two orange jelly slices for side fins. Position orange slices stacked 3 high on cake sides for top and tail fins.