Lucky Leap Frog Cake
Fondant features and a few alterations turn a Stand-Up Cuddly Bear Pan cake into an amiable amphibian. Set the fly-eating frog on a fondant lily pad floating atop a 14-inch Round Pan cake pond.
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Christmas Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Christmas Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
Favorite Pound Cake Recipe for frog
Cake serves 50.
- Easy-Add Stand-Up Cuddly Bear Pan Set Add to shopping list Stand-Up Cuddly Bear Pan Set
- Easy-Add 14 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 14 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 4 Add to shopping list Tip: 4
- Easy-Add Tip: 6 Add to shopping list Tip: 6
- Easy-Add Tip: 8 Add to shopping list Tip: 8
- Easy-Add Tip: 12 Add to shopping list Tip: 12
- Easy-Add Tip: 16 Add to shopping list Tip: 16
- Easy-Add Tip: 70 Add to shopping list Tip: 70
- Easy-Add Tip: 75 Add to shopping list Tip: 75
- Easy-Add Tip: 102 Add to shopping list Tip: 102
- Easy-Add Tip: 190 Add to shopping list Tip: 190
- 1998 Pattern Book (Lily Pad, Tongue Pattern)Easy-Add 1998 Pattern Book Add to shopping list 1998 Pattern Book
- 16 in. Cake Circles (2 needed)Easy-Add 16 in. Cake Circles Add to shopping list 16 in. Cake Circles
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Plastic Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Plastic Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add 4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 4 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add Flower Former Set Add to shopping list Flower Former Set
- Easy-Add Decorating Comb Add to shopping list Decorating Comb
- Easy-Add Decorator Brush Set Add to shopping list Decorator Brush Set
- Small Balloons
Make tongue at least 24 hours ahead of time. Add Christmas Red and Red-Red Icing Colors to 1/2 cup fondant to achieve shade used for tongue. Cut tongue pattern from fondant. Use pointed end of brush to score center line on tongue. Dip 1 in. of lollipop stick in water and wrap straight end of tongue around 1 in. end. To dry, place on flower former dusted with cornstarch. Let dry at least 24 hours.
Using royal icing, make 24 tip 190 drop flowers. For flower centers, roll pieces of red fondant into little balls. Brush flower centers with water and attach. Let dry.
Figure pipe flies using royal icing and tips 3, 6, 8, and 102. Let dry.
Cut lily pad from cake circle using pattern. Tint fondant green, (reserve 1/4 cup of white fondant). Wipe cake circle with damp towel and cover with fondant.
Roll edges of fondant under cake circle and trim. Mark vein lines with pointed end of decorator brush. Let dry; keep out of direct light to prevent fading.
Ice 1-layer 14 in. cake smooth. Comb top and sides of cake. Insert dowel rods in center of cake to support lily pad and frog. Position lily pad.
Make frog cake from a firm pound cake. Position frog cake on lily pad to decorate. Build up mouth, eyes and feet with tip 12. Cover whites of eyes with pieces of fondant. Cover head completely with tip 16 stars. Pipe in tip 4 pupils and mouth (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch).
For arms, cut dowel rod into two 6 in. lengths. Insert into cake. Pipe icing inside of "arm" as a foundation for "fingers". Insert 3 lollipop sticks in right arm for balloons. For "fingers" of open hand, cut 2 lollipop sticks to 3 in. lengths, fold in half and insert in arm. Outline legs and bottom body area with tip 4 strings. Cover body, legs, arms and fingers with tip 16 stars.
For bottom border, pipe tip 70 leaves and tip 75 thick grass. Position flowers.
Just before serving, position tongue, balloons and flies.