Leaving the Nest, Chick Mini Cake
This bird has flown the coop this Easter, and is ready to deliver Easter treats. Our Easter Eggs Mini Non-Stick Cake Pan gives this airplane its shape.
5 ounces Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant (per treat)Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
Each mini cake serves 1.
- Easy-Add Non-Stick Mini Decorated Egg Cake Pan Add to shopping list Non-Stick Mini Decorated Egg Cake Pan
- Easy-Add Cooling Grid Add to shopping list Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add 9 in. Fondant Roller Add to shopping list 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add 4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 4 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add Oval Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Oval Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Tip: 2A Add to shopping list Tip: 2A
- Easy-Add Tip: 1A Add to shopping list Tip: 1A
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
Two days in advance make wings, tail wings, propeller and chick. All pieces will need to dry 48 hours.
Tint fondant as follows: 3 1/2 oz. rose, 1/2 oz. green, 1/8 oz. lemon yellow/golden yellow, 1/8 oz. violet and 1/8 oz. orange. Knead 1/4 teaspoon of Gum-Tex into 1 1/2 oz. pink fondant and 1/8 teaspoon of Gum-Tex into other colors. Reserve the remaining pink fondant for cake.
For wings and tail, roll pink fondant 1/8 in. thick. Using airplane wing and tail pattern, cut out pieces with knife.
For propeller, roll green fondant 1/8 in. thick. Using smallest oval Cut-Out, cut four blade. For axle, cut out two circles using the wide end and narrow end of tip 12. Position all blades so ends point together. Attach small circle on large circle using damp brush; attach to top of blades using damp brush.
For steering wheel, roll violet fondant 1/8 in. thick. Using wide end of tip 2A, cut out circle.
Chick: For wings and hair, roll yellow fondant 1/8 in. thick. Using the wide end of tip 1A, cut 3 circles. Cut edges on one side of the circles. Mold steering wheel into chick's wings.
For head, roll 3/4 in. ball in yellow fondant. For beak, roll 3/8 in. ball in orange fondant and shape for beak; cut slightly for beak opening. Roll yellow fondant 1/8 in. thick. Cut circle using wide end of tip 12. Cut slits in top for hair and trim bottom to head curve. Attach to head.
To assemble: Attach tail fin and wings together with thinned fondant adhesive. Let set.
Using thinned fondant adhesive, attach wings to lollipop sticks, leaving 1 1/2 in. uncovered. Let set.
Bake cakes in pan. Remove and cool completely. Prepare cakes for fondant covering. Roll pink fondant and cover cake 1/8 in. thick. Smooth with hand.
Roll green fondant 1/8 in. thick, and cut out oval using medium Oval Cut-Out. Place on top of plane for cockpit opening. Insert wings in cake, and attach tail wing with thinned fondant adhesive.
Attach chick head and hands to plane.
*Combine Lemon Yellow with Golden Yellow for yellow shown.