Layered in Luxury Cake
Everything you love about fondant comes together on this unforgettable garden cake. Soft pastel colors, a richly textured crisscross backdrop, precisely cut geometric accents and a perfectly shaped rose bouquet set a new standard for elegance.
- Easy-Add Moss Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Moss Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Ready-to-Use Pastel Green Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-to-Use Pastel Green Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Pastel Pink Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Pastel Pink Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add Piping Gel Add to shopping list Piping Gel
Cake serves 68.
- Easy-Add 8 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 8 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add 12 x 2 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 12 x 2 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Ribbon Cutter and Embosser Set Add to shopping list Ribbon Cutter and Embosser Set
- Easy-Add Cutter/Embosser Add to shopping list Cutter/Embosser
- Easy-Add Round Cut-Outs Fondant Cutter Add to shopping list Round Cut-Outs Fondant Cutter
- Easy-Add Fondant Shaping Foam Set Add to shopping list Fondant Shaping Foam Set
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Stepsaving Rose Bouquets Flower Cutter Set Add to shopping list Stepsaving Rose Bouquets Flower Cutter Set
- Easy-Add Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set Add to shopping list Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set
- Easy-Add Flower Former Set Add to shopping list Flower Former Set
- Easy-Add Wooden Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Wooden Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- 14 in. square triple-thick cardboard or 1/2 in. thick foam core board
- 18-gauge florist wire
- 22-gauge florist wire
- Light green florist tape
- 1/2 in. wide x 24 in. long pink satin ribbon
At least 3 days in advance: Make 12 Full Bloom Roses for bouquet with calyxes and leaves. Knead 1 teaspoon of Gum-Tex into 12 oz. of Pastel Pink fondant; knead in Rose Icing Color for shade shown. Prepare bases on 7 in. lengths of 18-gauge wire; let dry for 2 days. When dry, use large rose cutter from Stepsaving Set and pink fondant mixture to complete roses.
For leaves and calyxes, knead 1/2 teaspoon of Gum-Tex into a 2 1/2 in. ball of Pastel Green fondant; knead in Moss Green Icing Color for shade shown. Using calyx cutter from set, cut 12 calyxes and attach with damp brush. Using rose leaf cutter from set, cut 15 leaves. Vein leaves on thin shaping foam using veiner tool from Confectionery Set. Attach to 7 in. lengths of 22-gauge wire with damp brush; let dry.
Wrap each wire with florist tape. Make 48 fondant circles. Roll out white fondant 1/8 in. thick and cut with medium round Cut-Out™; let dry on cornstarch-dusted surface. Make fifty 2-layer pink fantasy flowers, a few at a time. Cut 2 blossoms for each fantasy flower using forget-me-not cutter from set. For the 50 bottom layer blossoms, place on thin shaping foam and cut a 1/8 in. slit between each petal. Thin edges and widen petals with medium ball tool from confectionery set; place on small flower former. For the 50 top layer blossoms, place on thick shaping foam and cup centers with small ball tool. Attach cupped blossom to flat blossom with damp brush; let dry. Pipe tip 2 dot centers in buttercream. Set aside.
Prepare base board. Wrap triple-thick cardboard or foam core base with foil. Lightly brush with piping gel. Cover board with fondant and smooth with Easy-Glide Smoother. Set aside. Prepare 3-layer cakes (for each, bake two 2 in. and one 1 in. high layers to make a 5 in. high cake) for rolled fondant by lightly icing with buttercream.
Prepare cakes for
Cover cakes with Pastel Green fondant; smooth with Easy-Glide Smoother. On both cakes, use straight-edge wheel of Cutter/Embosser to emboss crisscrossing lines, 1/2 in. apart at a 45° angle. Make white fondant overlays. Roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick. For 8 in. cake, cut a 12 in. square, position on cake top and trim as needed to extend 1 1/2 in. from top edge. For 12 in. cake, cut a 16 in. square, position and trim as above.
Position cakes on fondant-covered board. Make approximately 48 fondant strips for cake sides. Roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick.
Load Ribbon Cutter/Embosser with straight cutting wheels on each side of 1/4 in. spacer. Cut strips 1/2 in. wide x 3 1/2 in. long. With damp brush, attach 1 strip at each corner of cakes.
On 8 in. cake, attach 4 additional strips, 1 1/8 in. apart, on each side. On 12 in. cake, attach 6 additional strips, 1 3/4 in. apart, on each side. With thinned fondant, attach 5 fondant circles to each side of 8 in. cake and 7 circles to each side of 12 in. cake. Attach a fantasy flower to center of each circle with thinned fondant. Roll 1/4 in. balls of white fondant; attach between circles and randomly on overlay with thinned fondant. For bottom borders, roll 1/4 in. balls of Pastel Green fondant and attach with damp brush. Assemble rose bouquet. Tape 3 roses and 3 leaves together 3 in. below bottom of flowers.
Curve stems at bottom. Repeat process with remaining flowers and leaves to form 4 sets. Cut dowel rod to 9 in. long. Cover top 4 in. with florist tape. Tape 4 sets together around wrapped dowel rod, 1 in. from top. Tie ribbon around taped area of bouquet; trim ends at an angle. At reception, insert bouquet in center of cake top.