Jolly Checkerboard Cake
The holiday spirit is popping up everywhere on this festive creation. Christmas tree cookies and a happy snowman decorate a bustling cake of red, green and white. Create this Christmas cake using the Checkerboard Cake Pan Set.
- Easy-Add Color Flow Mix Add to shopping list Color Flow Mix
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
Kelly Green Icing Color (Combine Leaf Green with Kelly Green for green shown.)Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
Golden Yellow Icing Color (Combine Lemon Yellow with Golden Yellow for yellow shown.)Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
3 boxes (15.25-18.25 oz. each) white cake mix
water, oil, eggs
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- 101 Cookie Cutter Set (snowman and smallest tree used)Easy-Add 101 Cookie Cutter Set Add to shopping list 101 Cookie Cutter Set
- Easy-Add Non-Stick Cookie Sheet Add to shopping list Non-Stick Cookie Sheet
- Easy-Add 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid Add to shopping list 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add Parchment Triangles Add to shopping list Parchment Triangles
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add 10 in. Cake Circle Add to shopping list 10 in. Cake Circle
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add 6 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 6 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add Tip: 14 Add to shopping list Tip: 14
- Easy-Add Checkerboard Cake Pan Set Add to shopping list Checkerboard Cake Pan Set
- Easy-Add Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 13 in. Angled Spatula Add to shopping list 13 in. Angled Spatula
- Easy-Add Cake Divider Set Add to shopping list Cake Divider Set
- Easy-Add Tip: 5 Add to shopping list Tip: 5
- Easy-Add 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags
One day in advance: Make cookies. Prepare cookie dough and roll out 1/8 in. thick. Use snowman cutters and smallest Christmas tree from set to cut two trees and one snowman. Bake and cool.
Prepare color flow icing. Tint portions black, red, orange, green, blue and yellow; reserve some white.
For snowman, using tip 2 and full-strength white Color Flow icing in cut parchment bag to outline snowman. Use a cut parchment bag and thinned white Color Flow icing to fill in. Use tip 2 and full-strength black Color Flow icing in parchment bag to outline hat. Use tip 2 and thinned black Color Flow icing to fill in hat. Let dry overnight on cake board.
Use tip 3 and full-strength red Color Flow icing to pipe band on hat and scarf; pat smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch. Use tip 2 and full-strength orange Color Flow icing to pipe pull-out nose. Use tip 2 and black Color Flow icing to pipe dot eyes and mouth.
When dry, attach stick to back of cookie with full-strength Color Flow icing.
For trees, use tip 14 and full-strength green Color Flow icing to cover trees with stars. Use tip 14 and full-strength green Color Flow icing for pull-out stars. Use tip 2 and full-strength Color Flow icing in red, blue, yellow and orange to make dots ornaments.
When dry, attach sticks to backs of cookies with full-strength color flow icing. Let dry.
Individually prepare three boxes white cake mix following package instructions; divide in thirds. In one portion of batter, gently stir in Red-Red Icing Color to desired shade. (Use clean toothpicks to transfer color from jar to batter.) Repeat with Leaf Green Icing color for second portion. Leave third portion white batter.
For bottom layer, place Batter Dividing Ring in the first prepared pan. Pour green-colored batter in outer section, red-colored batter in middle section and white batter in center section. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
For top layer, place clean ring in second prepared pan. Pour red-colored batter in outer sections and white batter in middle section and green-colored batter in center (smallest circle) section. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
For middle layer, place clean ring in third prepared pan. Pour white batter in outer sections and green-colored batter in middle sections and red-colored batter in center (smallest circle) section. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. DO NOT PUT RING IN OVEN.
Bake and cool cakes following recipe directions. Prepare buttercream icing. Stack and position cake on foil-wrapped cake circle. Ice cake smooth with icing and spatula.
Using cake divider, divide cake into sixths. Tint buttercream icing red, orange, blue, green and yellow. Imprint tree cookie cutter at each division point on cake sides.
Use tip 14 and green buttercream icing to cover imprints with stars. Cover trunks of trees using tip 14 and green buttercream icing with pull-out stars. Use tip 2 and red, orange, blue and yellow icing to make dot ornaments.
Using tip 5 and white buttercream icing, pipe bottom bead border. Spatula ice top of cake fluffy, leaving 2 in. from outer edge smooth. Insert cookies in center of cake.