It's A Mardi Gras Celebration Cake
Carnival time! A time for celebration, parties and letting your spirits soar! Start the festivities with a dessert worthy of the excitement. Jewel-toned masks and fun jester hats trim this checkerboard cake.
- Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Pink colored sugar Add to shopping list Pink colored sugar
- Easy-Add Dark Green Colored Sugar Add to shopping list Dark Green Colored Sugar
- Easy-Add Lavender Colored Sugar Add to shopping list Lavender Colored Sugar
- Easy-Add Gold Pearlized Sugar Add to shopping list Gold Pearlized Sugar
- Easy-Add Gold Pearl Dust™ Add to shopping list Gold Pearl Dust™
- Easy-Add White Pearl Dust™ Add to shopping list White Pearl Dust™
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Piping Gel Add to shopping list Piping Gel
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
- Easy-Add Pink Cake Sparkles™ Add to shopping list Pink Cake Sparkles™
- Easy-Add Yellow Cake Sparkles™ Add to shopping list Yellow Cake Sparkles™
- Easy-Add Violet Cake Sparkles™ Add to shopping list Violet Cake Sparkles™
3 box white cake mix (18.25 oz. each)
Cake serves 28.
- Easy-Add Checkerboard Cake Pan Add to shopping list Checkerboard Cake Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Cooling Grid Add to shopping list Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add Cake Leveler Add to shopping list Cake Leveler
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Pastry Wheel Add to shopping list Pastry Wheel
- Easy-Add 9 in. Fondant Roller Add to shopping list 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Easy-Add Wave Flower Former Add to shopping list Wave Flower Former
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add 11 3/4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 11 3/4 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Rose Leaf Fondant Cut & Press Set Add to shopping list Rose Leaf Fondant Cut & Press Set
- Easy-Add Leaf Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Leaf Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add 10-Pc. Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set Add to shopping list 10-Pc. Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set
- Cotton Balls
At least 2 days in advance, color 8 oz. of fondant yellow; divide the remaining 3 equal parts and color those purple, pink and green.
Roll yellow fondant 1/8 in. thick and cut 12 triangles with pattern. Position triangles over large wave flower former, curve top point forward. Use cotton ball to prop curved tip until dry. When completely dry, paint with gold pearl dust mixed with lemon extract; let dry.
Cut masks from pattern.
Make leaves in various colors and sizes using the rose leaf press and leaf cut outs. Use veining tool from cutter set to imprint veins on leaves.
Roll fondant 1/16 in. thick in all colors and cut into 6 in. long x 1/4 in. wide strips, wrap around lollipop sticks to form curl and let dry for 2 days.
Roll 30 pink fondant balls 1/4 in., 5 green fondant balls 1/4 in. and 5 purple fondant balls also 1/4 in. diameter.
Prepare 3 boxes white cake mix following package instructions; divide in thirds In one portion of batter, gently stir in Violet Icing Color to desired shade (use clean toothpicks to transfer color from jar to batter). Repeat with Kelly Green Icing Color to color second portion. Repeat with Yellow Icing Color to color third portion.
Place Batter Dividing Ring in the first prepared 9 x 1 1/2 in. pan. Pour violet-colored batter in outer section and green-colored batter in the middle section and yellow in center section. Fill sections halfway. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
Place ring in 2nd prepared pan and in the first prepared 9 x 1 1/2 in. pan. Pour yellow batter in outer section and violet-colored batter in the middle section and green-colored batter in center section. Fill sections halfway. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
Place clean and dry ring in 3rd prepared pan. Pour green-colored batter in outer and yellow-colored batter in the middle section and violet-colored batter in the center section. Fill sections halfway. Remove ring from pan as before. Bake and cool cakes following recipe directions. Remove and stack cakes.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Bake and cool checkerboard cake.
DO NOT PUT DIVIDING RING IN OVEN.
Ice 2-layer cake smooth in buttercream icing.
Attach leaves and curlicues to masks using royal icing. Embellish with gold pearlized sugar and roll small fondant balls and attach to masks with damp brush. When completely dry, attach lollipop sticks with fondant adhesive; let dry. Brush leaves and curlicues with yellow pearl dust. Insert toothpicks in 1/4 in. diameter fondant balls, brush with piping gel, roll in coordinating color sugars; let dry.
Back and cool cake. Spatula ice smooth. Attach triangles to sides of cake for border around base of triangles. Use pattern for scallops and attach to cake with piping gel. Paint with gold pearl dust mixed with lemon extract. Attach 1/4 in. sugar-covered balls to points of crowns and to scalloped base with royal icings. Sprinkle cake sparkles on top of cake. Cut sticks for masks to staggered lengths; insert in cake.