Illuminated Gingerbread Castle
- Easy-Add Light Cocoa Candy Melts® Candy Add to shopping list Light Cocoa Candy Melts® Candy
- Easy-Add Jumbo Rainbow Nonpareils Sprinkles Add to shopping list Jumbo Rainbow Nonpareils Sprinkles
- Easy-Add Sour Cherry Balls Add to shopping list Sour Cherry Balls
- Easy-Add White Sparkling Sugar Add to shopping list White Sparkling Sugar
- Easy-Add FoodWriter™ Fine Tip Primary Colors Edible Color Markers Add to shopping list FoodWriter™ Fine Tip Primary Colors Edible Color Markers
- Grandma's Gingerbread Recipe use dark molasses
- spice drops
- Mini candy-coated chocolates
- Mini fruit slice jellies
- Easy-Add Romantic Castle Cake Set Add to shopping list Romantic Castle Cake Set
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Tip: 4 Add to shopping list Tip: 4
- Easy-Add Cookie Sheet Add to shopping list Cookie Sheet
- Easy-Add Cooling Grid Add to shopping list Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add 16 in. Cake Circles Add to shopping list 16 in. Cake Circles
- Easy-Add Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Non-Stick Parchment Paper Add to shopping list Non-Stick Parchment Paper
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Yellow Party Bags Add to shopping list Yellow Party Bags
- Easy-Add Flameless Votive Tea Lights Add to shopping list Flameless Votive Tea Lights
- Waxed paper
- Craft knife
*Brand confectionery coating.
Prepare Grandma's Gingerbread Recipe with dark molasses. Cut pattern pieces and bake on cookies sheets lined with non-stick parchment paper. Cut 1 hexagon roof, 5 large bottom tier walls with window cut out, 1 large bottom tier wall with door scored and door window cut out, 2 large bottom tier walls (1 cut in half lengthwise) to be used as center support, 1 square roof and 4 top tier side walls with window cut out. Bake pieces and cool overnight before assembling.
Prepare base board. Tape two 16 in. cake circles together, crisscrossing corrugated lines for added strength and cover with Fanci-Foil Wrap. Center hexagon roof pattern on board and mark as position guide with toothpick. Use bottom tier roof pattern as a guide to cut six 1 5/8 in. holes in base with craft knife.
Assemble gingerbread castle. For bottom tier, turn hexagon roof upside down. Attach 6 side walls, 1/2 in. from edge using melted candy; brace until set. Attach one half wall to front and one half wall to back of full for support with melted candy; brace until set. Turn hexagon tier upright and attach to base board with melted candy.
For top tier, decorate on waxed paper covered board. Cut all windows from yellow treat bags; cut 2 layers of each window pattern and attach to outside of window with royal icing. Pipe tip 4 zigzags around windows and door and attach mini chocolate-covered candies. Attach mini fruit jellies slices with icing for windowsills. Attach towers to corners with melted candies. For top tier, attach 2 small towers in front and 2 medium towers in back with melted candy.
For base tier, attach 2 small towers by sides of front door, followed by 2 medium towers on sides and 2 large towers on back. Outline windows on top tier with tip 2 and attach towers and A-frame canopy on main roof. Attach jumbo rainbow nonpareils to tops of towers with royal icing. Position top tier on base tier and trace place using black FoodWriter™; remove top tier.
Thin down a small amount of royal icing and ice turrets and A-frame canopy on main roof and sprinkles immediately with sparkling sugars. Attach sour cherry candies to towers with royal icing. Spatula ice roof tops on both tiers and create icicles on overhangs.
DO NOT ICE AREA ON BOTTOM WHERE TOP TIER WILL BE PLACED. Continue to ice outside tier outline. Attach spice drops to edge of roofs with icing. Position main roof on top tier and attach sour cherries to peak. Spatula ice base board and position spice drops along walkway and around board. Position top tier on base tier; do not set in icing.
For presentation with lights, remove top tier. Turn on flameless votive lights and place 6 in openings under base board. Place one votive without holder on roof area. Place top tier on top over votive.