Her Birthday Whirl Cake
This sporty little number is particularly appropriate when your student driver gets her license. Just make sure she knows the rules of the road before she gets any of Her Birthday Whirl Cake!
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add Teal Icing Color Add to shopping list Teal Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Cake Release Add to shopping list Cake Release
light corn syrup
Cake serves 12.
- Easy-Add Race Car Pan Add to shopping list Race Car Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 5 Add to shopping list Tip: 5
- Easy-Add Tip: 7 Add to shopping list Tip: 7
- Easy-Add Tip: 16 Add to shopping list Tip: 16
- Easy-Add Tip: 21 Add to shopping list Tip: 21
- Easy-Add Tip: 129 Add to shopping list Tip: 129
- Easy-Add Tip: 349 Add to shopping list Tip: 349
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 8 in. Spatula Add to shopping list 8 in. Spatula
We suggest that you tint all icings at one time while cake cools. Refrigerate tinted icings in covered containers until ready to use.
Make 5 cups buttercream icing:
Tint 1/4 cup teal
Tint 2 1/4 cups light rose
Tint 1/4 cup dark rose
Tint 1/2 cup violet
Tint 1/4 cup black
Tint 1/4 cup gray
Reserve 1 1/4 cups white (thin with 2 teaspoons light corn syrup).
Decorate in Order
Use spatula and thinned white icing to ice sides and top areas of cake smooth.
Use spatula and thinned gray icing to ice windows smooth.
Use tip 3 and dark rose icing to outline car.
Use tip 7 and black icing to pipe-in tires.
Use tip 5 and dark rose icing to pipe-in headlights.
Use tip 5 and light rose icing to pipe-in hubcaps.
Use tip 16 and light rose icing to cover car with stars.
Use tip 3 and violet icing to write message, name and number on car.
Use tip 21 and light rose icing to pipe shell bottom border.
Use tip 129 and violet icing to pipe drop flowers with tip 2 light rose dot centers. Position eight clusters of three drop flowers on bottom border and add tip 349 teal leaves.
Preheat oven to 350°F or temperature per recipe directions. Your cake will unmold easily, without sticking, when you prepare the pan properly. Grease the inside of pan using a pastry brush and solid vegetable shortening (do not use butter, margarine or liquid vegetable oil). Spread the shortening so that all indentations are covered. Sprinkle about 2 Tablespoons flour inside pan and shake so that flour covers all greased surfaces.
Turn pan upside down and tap lightly to remove excess flour. If any shiny spots remain, touch up with more shortening and flour to prevent cake from sticking. (You can use vegetable oil pan spray or vegetable oil pan spray with flour, in place of solid shortening and flour or use Wilton Cake Release, for perfect, crumb-free cakes!).
Make one 2-layer cake mix according to package or recipe directions. Pour the cake batter into pan, and if necessary, spread the batter around with a spatula to fill all areas of the pan evenly. Be careful not to touch sides or bottom of pan.
Bake cake on middle rack of 350°F oven for 30-40 minutes or until cake tests done according to recipe directions.
Remove cake from oven and cool on cake rack for 10 minutes. While the cake is still in the pan, carefully slice off the raised center portion of the cake. This allows the cake to sit more level and helps prevent cracking.
To remove cake from pan, place cooling rack against cake and turn both cake rack and pan over. Lift pan off carefully. Cool cake at least one hour. Brush loose crumbs off cake.
To transfer cake to serving board, hold a cake board against cake and turn both cake and rack over. Lift off rack. Hold another board against bottom of cake and turn cake over. Be sure to hold cake, rack and board close together while turning to prevent cake from cracking.
We recommend hand washing pan in hot, soapy water.