Hearts & Flowers Cake
Send a loving birthday greeting with a traditional Hearts and Flowers Cake. Royal icing flowers are made ahead and added at the last minute. (Many decorators keep assorted royal icing flowers on hand for future decorating projects.) Watch our online video.
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
Favorite cake recipe or 2-layer cake mix
Cake serves 20.
- Easy-Add 9 x 2 in. Heart pan Add to shopping list 9 x 2 in. Heart pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 18 Add to shopping list Tip: 18
- Easy-Add Tip: 29 Add to shopping list Tip: 29
- Easy-Add Tip: 225 Add to shopping list Tip: 225
- Easy-Add Tip: 352 Add to shopping list Tip: 352
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Metal Spatula Add to shopping list Metal Spatula
- Easy-Add Revolving Cake Stand Add to shopping list Revolving Cake Stand
- Easy-Add Make-Any-Message Letter Press Set Add to shopping list Make-Any-Message Letter Press Set
- Easy-Add White Celebration Candles Add to shopping list White Celebration Candles
- Waxed paper
At least 2 days before decorating cake, make two sizes of rose and violet royal icing drop flowers using tips 129 and 225 (130 flowers were used for this project - make additional in case of breakage); add tip 3 white dot flower centers. Allow to dry completely.
Bake your favorite 2-layer cake recipe or mix in Heart pan.
Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
Wrap cake board with fanci-foil. Arrange cake on prepared cake board.
Spatula ice cake with yellow buttercream icing. Write "Happy Birthday" using tip 3 and buttercream icing, either imprinting message with pattern press into icing first, or writing message freehand.
Add top and bottom buttercream star borders; press drop flowers to borders while still soft.
Make tip 18 buttercream rosettes on cake top for candle bases; insert candles and press in drop flowers.
Fill in tip 352 green leaves around all flowers.