Hearts Abound Checkerboard Cake
- • 3 boxes (15.25-18.25 oz. each) white cake mix
- water, oil, eggs
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant
Cake serves 20
- Easy-Add Checkerboard Cake Pan Add to shopping list Checkerboard Cake Pan
- Easy-Add 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid Add to shopping list 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add 10 in. Cake Circles Add to shopping list 10 in. Cake Circles
- Easy-Add Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Silver Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 13 in. Angled Spatula Add to shopping list 13 in. Angled Spatula
- 9 in. Rolling pin (with 1/8 in. rings)Easy-Add 9 in. Rolling pin Add to shopping list 9 in. Rolling pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Hearts Nesting Cutter Set (3 smallest used)Easy-Add Hearts Nesting Cutter Set Add to shopping list Hearts Nesting Cutter Set
- Easy-Add Decorator Brush Set Add to shopping list Decorator Brush Set
- Easy-Add Tip: 12 Add to shopping list Tip: 12
- Easy-Add 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags
Individually prepare 3 boxes white cake mix following package instructions;. In one portion of batter, gently stir in Rose Icing Color to desired shade. (Use clean toothpicks to transfer color from jar to batter.) Repeat with Red-Red Icing Color to color second portion; reserve last portion white.
For bottom layer, place Batter Dividing Ring in the first prepared pan. Pour red-colored batter in outer section, place white batter in middle and rose-colored batter in center sections. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring for pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
For top layer, place clean ring in second prepared pan. Pour rose-colored batter in outer circle, red-colored batter in middle section; use reserved white batter for center. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
For middle layer, place clean and dry ring in third prepared pan. Pour white batter in outer section, pour rose-colored batter in middle section and pour red-colored batter in center. Fill sections 2/3 full. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. DO NOT PUT RING IN OVEN.
Bake and cool cakes following package directions.
Prepare buttercream icing and color light rose. Stack cakes on foil-wrapped cake circle and ice with light rose icing and spatula.
Tint fondant 8 oz. deep rose and 8 oz. red; reserve 8 oz. white.
Roll out each fondant 1/8 in. thick. Using the three smaller heart cutters from set, cut out five hearts per cutter size and in each color.
Attach different sizes and colors of hearts to top and sides of cake with damp brush; overlapping some.
Use tip 12 and rose icing to pipe bottom ball border.