Halloween High Stepper Cake
Don’t be fooled…this bug is no lady! Pretzel rods and black fondant are used to make the oversized legs on this creepy-crawly cake.
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Midnight Black Halloween Candy Melts® Candy Add to shopping list Midnight Black Halloween Candy Melts® Candy
Cake serves 12.
- Easy-Add Lady Bug Pan Add to shopping list Lady Bug Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 1A Add to shopping list Tip: 1A
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 6 Add to shopping list Tip: 6
- Easy-Add Tip: 12 Add to shopping list Tip: 12
- Easy-Add Tip: 16 Add to shopping list Tip: 16
- Easy-Add Cake Circles Add to shopping list Cake Circles
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- 16 x 24 in. foamcore board (1/4 inch thick)
In advance: Make legs and shoes. For shorter legs, cut pretzel rods to 2 1/2 in. and 6 1/2 in. long (4 each). For longer legs, cut pretzel rods to 4 1/2 in. and 6 1/2 in. long (4 each). Tint fondant black. Roll 8 each 3/4 in. balls for leg joints; reserve remaining black fondant. Assemble shorter legs, inserting 1 of each size pretzel in leg joints at a 45° angle; secure with melted candy. Repeat for longer legs, assembling at slightly less than a 90° angle. Let dry.
Bake and cool cake. Pipe tip 1A ball eyes (flatten and smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch). Pipe tip 12 dot nose and pupils (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch). Pipe tip 3 outline mouth; cover cake with tip 16 pull-out stars. Overpipe mouth and pull out teeth with tip 6. Make shoes using remaining black fondant. Roll 3/4 in. diameter logs; cut into 1 1/2 in. pieces (8 needed). Shape into oval shoes. Insert long end of legs into shoes; secure with melted candy. Position and insert legs into cake.
*Combine Leaf Green with Lemon Yellow for green shown.