Great Anticipation Cake
Create a white-on-white baby-shower or christening centerpiece that’s sure to wow. Outfit a 15 in. Petal Pan cake with a ruffled fondant skirt and add an eye-catching carriage shaped from fondant up top.
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Gum Paste Mix Add to shopping list Gum Paste Mix
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
Cake serves 68.
- Easy-Add 8 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 8 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Petal Pan Set Add to shopping list Petal Pan Set
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 8 Add to shopping list Tip: 8
- Easy-Add Tip: 12 Add to shopping list Tip: 12
- Easy-Add Decorator Preferred® Smooth-Edge Separator Plates Add to shopping list Decorator Preferred® Smooth-Edge Separator Plates
- Easy-Add Embroidered Wrapped Pillars Add to shopping list Embroidered Wrapped Pillars
- Easy-Add Easter Eggs Candy Mold Set Add to shopping list Easter Eggs Candy Mold Set
- Easy-Add Round Cut-Outs Fondant Cutter Add to shopping list Round Cut-Outs Fondant Cutter
- Easy-Add Flower Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Flower Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add 11 3/4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 11 3/4 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set Add to shopping list Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set
- Easy-Add Fondant Shaping Foam Set Add to shopping list Fondant Shaping Foam Set
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Wooden Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Wooden Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- 28 inches 5/8 in. wide white satin ribbon
- Heavy-duty board (plywood, foamcore or triple-thick cardboard)
At least 4 days in advance: Make carriage, wheels and carriage trims. Prepare gum paste and mix with 24 oz. fondant. This mixture will be used for carriage, wheels and cake flowers. Trim 4 lollipop sticks to 9 3/4 in. long. Dampen end of sticks; wrap a 1/2 in. fondant/gum paste ball over end and flatten top to create a support base for carriage; let dry.
Also in advance: Make flowers. Roll out fondant/gum paste mixture 1/8 in. thick. Cut 150 flowers using smallest flower Cut-Out. Place flowers on fondant shaping foam and cup using small ball tool. Let flowers dry on board dusted with cornstarch; add tip 3 dot centers in royal icing.
Prepare cakes for 2-Plate and Pillar Construction; prepare cakes for rolled fondant by lightly icing with buttercream. Cover cakes with fondant; smooth with Fondant Smoother. Position 8 in. round cake on 10 in. separator plate and 15 in. petal cake on heavy-duty board cut to fit and wrapped with foil.
Attach flowers to bottom border of round cake with dots of royal icing. Tie ribbon around cake. On petal cake, pipe tip 12 bead bottom border. Divide each petal section in 3rds. In buttercream, pipe tip 3 double and triple drop strings at division points. Bottom of triple drop string is 2 in. from top edge of cake; bottom of double drop string is 1 1/2 in. from top edge of cake. Pipe tip 8 balls at top drop string points. To make ruffles for petal cake, roll fondant/gum paste mixture 1/16 in. thick. For each petal section, cut strip 1 1/2 x 12 in. long. Gather at top to make ruffle and individually attach to each petal with damp brush. For draped effect, position sides of ruffles 1 1/2 in. from cake bottom in corners of each petal and center of ruffles 1 in. from bottom. With royal icing and tip 3, attach flowers to top edge of ruffles and add dots on ruffles.
At reception: Position 8 in. cake on pillars. Insert lollipop sticks in top of cake and position carriage on supports, securing with royal icing. Attach wheels with dots of royal icing.